Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Possible Bumblefoot?

purplepiggies

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if my piggies have bumble foot or not. I just got them Wednesday and they were on minimal bedding and a lot of newspaper. I have been handling them minimally until they warm up to me. Last night I was holding Gwen, the older one I think, and realized her feet were slightly red and a bit swollen. I don't have any pictures because I don't want to make them too upset by handling them too much but next time I'm holding them I'll post some. Does anyone have comparative pictures of what it looks like vs. what normal feet should look like? These are my first guinea pigs and I'm in the process of building my c and c cage, but I have fleece in their temporary cage for now to comfort them. any suggestions? I can try to post some pictures later.

Thank you!!

As long as the feet don't have blackheads you should be alright. Just to test, try and put them in a pen outside of their cage if possible to see if this reduces the redness.

;)

what do you mean by "blackheads"?

Just give them a little time. Wipe her feet with a damp cloth to get any urine off, then put some cold compressed virgin coconut oil (available at any pharmacy) on them. Keep her on clean fleece, and watch her for a few days. If it doesn't get better in three days or so, or if it gets worse, post back her with some pictures and we'll have another go at it.

Ok thanks. Do you think I should giver her a bath and a nail trim? Her nails seem kind of long. Maybe if I do I could get a better look at them. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you guys posted.

Sure, trim her nails. And I have no idea what "blackheads" in the feet might be -- never heard of such a thing.

Heres a picture. Im most concerned about this foot.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Possible Bumblefoot?

sorry it's blurry. She squirmed when I took the picture.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.