Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethargy Possible bloat or ovarian cyst

Eva22167

Cavy Gazer
My piggy Opal is acting lethargic and seems to be in pain. Her abdomen is very tender and hard like she is tensing her muscles. I suspected bloat and when i tapped her sides and one did sound slightly different, but I did the same to my other pigs for comparison and it doesn't seem significant. She will do a bit of grazing or drinking then retreat to a corner and puff up her coat. I think it may be a cyst because i noticed blood on her groin area earlier today and made an appointment for tomorrow. I don't think the blood was from her urine because it looked undiluted. What does this sound like to you? There aren't any emergency vets in my area that see guinea pigs, I would have to drive 3 or more hours to get her to one.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here's some information about bloat: https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html. I think, if I were you, I'd give her a bit of infant simethicone and put her on something that vibrates (pillow, electric toothbrush, clothes dryer, whatever). Even very gentle massage may help, but you'd have to be very careful about that just in case it is a cyst.

A trip to the emergency vet for something like this would probably not be very satisfactory, unless you're sure the ER vet is competent to treat guinea pigs. Most of them are moonlighting small animal (dog and cat) vets, and have no expertise at all in guinea pigs. The vets at the ER clinic closest to me won't even look at a guinea pig.

If she makes it through the night but is still acting the same way, I'd probably just arrive on the regular exotic vet's doorstep when they open the doors and insist that they see her.

Eva22167

Cavy Gazer
Would olive oil help? I read it will help de-foam gas bubbles as well

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, I wouldn't give her olive oil. But baby simethicone is available from any drug store or grocery store.

Eva22167

Cavy Gazer
I think we have capsules somewhere
how much should I give her

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.