Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Possible Bacterial Infection?

Carrie1

Cavy Slave
I have 2 around 2 month old pigs. They came from different litters. The one girl came from a litter that apparently didn't have a very easy trip when they were delivered to the pet store and all the other pigs in the litter became sick. My girl Penelope, was fine but I have been watching her to make sure she doesn't get sick as well. Today I noticed her sneeze a couple of times. I picked her up to check her out, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary except she sounded like she had a bit of a stuffy nose when she breathed. I called the vet right away and have an appointment to take her in for tomorrow, I really hope if she has a bacterial infection that she can be treated and get better I don't know if anything is for sure wrong but I want to take her in to be sure. Can sneezing and a runny/stuffy nose be normal from time to time? My guinea pig that I had before these two used to get a runny nose every once in a while but was always fine.

Do I need to keep the other pig seperated from her? Is having her in a different cage in the same room ok? I am going to be taking them both into the vet and get them both checked to be sure so should I take them to the vet in seperate carriers?

Hi Carrie1,

I think a runny nose should always be checked out by a vet, guinea pigs have very sensitive respiratory systems and any illness can become serious very quickly. If you're taking them both to the vet tomorrow I personally don't think its necessary to separate them tonight, I would take them in the same carrier too, the stress of being separated while travelling may do more harm then good.
Good luck with the vet tomorrow :)

my piggie had to to go to the vet cuz i was worried she had URI's but the vet didn't find anything wrong with her but he agreed that she sounded funny when she breathed and explained to me that some piggies can get asmua in the winter. he sent me some with antibiotics in case it was something just starting to set in. and i ask if it was okay to keep her with my other piggie and he said it was fine along as nothing got any worse.

Okay, Thanks to both of you for the advice! I do have two cages but only have one pet carrier so I was hoping it would be ok to take them in the same one. I wouldn't normally be this worried but I am because of the fact that the entire litter that she came from was sick. I've had her for a week and this is the first sign I've noticed so far, up until the sneezing she seemed perfectly healthy.

Also depends what kind of bedding you use. Honey used to sneeze alot, then I found out the bedding they gave me (pine... which most people here seem to use!) she was allergic to. I would make sure it is nothing serious, by getting the vet to check it out :)

Thanks, I've been using Carefresh and tonight is supposed to be cleaning night and I actually bought a different kind to try so we'll see if that makes a difference. Also, I forgot to mention, the first couple days i had her she was drinking tons of water, and now she is barely drinking any at all. Not sure what that means. She's been eating a lot more vegetables than she was the first couple of days so I've read that could possibly be why, since they get water from the fresh veggies, they will sometimes not drink as much. Not sure if it's that or if it could have something to do with her not being well, if that is the case.

I'm noticing one of my new girls (adopted) also is drinking tons, but they need to go for a vet check anyways. Listen to her chest for an abnormal sound - often "clicking".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.