Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Porkchop pregnant?

porkchopsmom

Cavy Slave
Porkchop loves to sit on my chest while I read over the posts here. I was stroking her on her tummy, she likes this. I think I felt a Thumb sized lump. It kept moving so I am not sure. I read that the gestation is 59 - 73 days. That is a big diference in times. I have had her since May 28th or so. She was about 6 weeks then. The Petsmart(I know, bad me) had her for 1 -2 weeks. They thought. That makes about 60 days. If she is pregnant. She has a very good appetite and is drinking alot. Her belly is sagging, I told her she is looking like a pot-belly. My husband didn't think this was funny. We got 2 pregnant gerrbils from a pet stop. Is there any way to tell for sure uther than wait the full 73 days? I have a bad feeling about this.

You can get an ultrasound. It's costly though. It should be able to tell you if she is pregnant or not. You've been weighing her, right?

I also got my Peanut from a petshop, too. I noticed she was gaining a lot of weight and her tummy was really chubby. But then a few days later it wasn't. Then it was again. It took me a week to figure out that her tummy gets really chubby after it's been filled with pig-salad!

I've spent nights lying in bed wide-awake fretting about what to do if Peanut were pregnant. I hope your girl turns out to be just full of pig-salad, too.

Well, maybe you should wait awile to deterain if she is pregnate and look up some things on the internate, hope this helps!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

-Bina

My sweetpea is pregnant, as far as I (and the vet) can tell about 20-30days. Her stomache is very round and sticks out on both sides. It is a little hard all around too. I can not feel anything move yet. If she is, don't panic (like I did :0) she will be OK. Just keep an extra eye on her tummy. I also had a vet tell me they can only do x-ray on the pig to check for pregnancy. I thought that was a bad idea. X-ray is harmful to human fetuses, probibly not good for g-pigs either. The best thing...take her to a pig savy vet. He will hopefully know what to look for, and what to feel for! Good luck. :0)

There are medical conditions that can sort of mimic pregnancy as well. She may have cysts. When you find a good cavy savvy vet, talk to them about cysts and tumors as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.