Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior popcorning or something else?

xaniandra

Cavy Slave
Lately my girl has been doing what i think is popcorning every time i take her out of the cage and pet her. She also tries to nibble my clothes and fingers. She "pops" almost every time i touch her. I am very calm when i pet her and i make sure there's no loud noises around. What i want to know is, is she trying to tell me to leave her alone, or does she like being petted? How do i know if i'm doing it wrong?

Last edited:
It's possible she has mites, and being touched is painful.

how do they get mites? She has never been outside and shares a large cage with her daughter, who was born in that same cage. also, how do i know if its mites?

If she can't stand being held, if she bites when held or picked up, if she has patches of fur missing, if she has wounds from scratching/biting herself--these are some symptoms.

Many guinea pigs have mites--they can lie dormant until the pig is stressed. They can only get mites from another guinea pig.

then its not mites, her fur is clean and full, no patches. She does not scratch much either. She just jumps around when i pet her and tries to chew my clothes. She also "tastes" my fingers but she stops when being told no firmly. She will stay on me without being held. I just want to be sure that she is not hating being held and the jumping is not a sign of distress

Where are you petting her? My pigs hate to be touched on their back ends. They always kick when someone tries to touch their butts. They are fine when I pet them anywhere else, though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.