Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Popcorning Popcorning looks scary

Daisha

Cavy Slave
My guinea Sherbert...R.I.P.... would jump around and purr and was generally a happy guinea but it never looked like she was having a weird twitchy seizure. Yang looks like he's having some kind of episode when he popcorns.....I've checked a bunch of you tube videos that show guineas popcorning the exact same way he is so I know he's ok but it is scary to watch at first.
Was anyone else freaked out by this or am I being crazy paranoid and overprotective?

The first time he did it I'd given him some parsley and he'd eaten a bit...he started jumping all twitchy like and I immediately took it away from him..lol. (I've since given him more..he loves it) just would be comforting to know I'm not the only one who thinks this is scary looking.

I love the popcorning where they turn their head to the side and sort of shake their head as they do a little jump. It looks so goofy but I think they think they're very impressed with themselves when they do that. It really makes me laugh.

My boys popcorn normally, just a little jump in the air, but Harmony looks like she's having a seizure! It's funny, because she only does it when she's in heat. So she'll burrr burrr burrr then jump and twitch! It still freaks me out, even though I've seen it a thousand times.

Omg..so nice to know I'm not the only one..lol...that's the part my Sherby never did...she would jump but not that weird head jerk spazzy thing...when Yang did it I almost put him in the car and took him to the er....I decided I should be calmer about it though since he was talking up a storm and eating and moving just fine....

I do the same thing with my kids though...smallest thing and I call the doc...it's really sad..lol

My neutered male does the twitchy head popcorn when he tries to impress the girls. I can swear I hear them laughing.......

I know what you mean. My girls are actually more wild when it comes to running, jumping, & pop-corning than the boys, .. though both groups have same size cages. Jellybean, who is the youngest goes the craziest. Worries me she might get hurt when she leaps. She has no fur, so I feel like she's more delicate. Eewwhh yuck. She must have known I was talking bout her (lol)... Cause she just peed on my leg. Kidding... She just ate red-leaf. Must-shower-now! Ick!!!

I'm used to it with pigs, and don't remember being freaked out when I had my first ever pigs. It was a long time ago, though, so I may have been freaked out when I first saw it.

I recently adopted my first rabbits, though. They popcorn too, but it's called binkying. Anyway, it looks pretty similar to popcorning, but because I'm not used to it in rabbits, it freaks me out. Every time I see it, I have to tell myself to calm down, and I should be happy because this means that they're happy.

i got a girl who is she big she tries to popcorn but she cant too heavy. She is a abby with most the weight in the hips (only 2.85 pounds). she cant get off the ground so she looks like a bucking bronko. It is so cute seeing her twich and buck. the other girl can get some height,

Yea peeing guineas....always nice lol

Yang is getting pretty good at telling me when he needs to go...I have about a minute warning before it happens so as long as I'm in tune with what he's sayin it's all good.

Do the rabbits jump in the same twitchy like way? I had one when I was a kid but he was a lap rabbit...or thought he was anyway....even when he was in the yard with us he just did a normal bunny jump.

Well I'm just gonna work on staying calm about his popcorning, I'm sure I'll get used to it in a couple weeks and be more relaxed.

Tonight he was running around the main level...(he has access to the house at all times during the day) the grlz set up several paper bag tunnels for him with a bit of hay and some veggies...he started running laps from his ramp through the bags under the desk and back and every few seconds he was doing his happy popcorn dance..lol....it was soooooo great to watch!! My oldest daughter, Cherish, was a bit freaked out though..kept asking if a vet should look at him just in case. Poor thing gets it from me. I showed her the you tube videos though and she was able to get into it and really enjoy watching him!

Yeah, there's the normal bunny jump, and then there's the twitchy jump, which, like pigs, they do when they're excited or happy. It does sort of look like a seizure.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.