Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Poor Baby

chris_w

Cavy Slave
I had my month ish old baby's out last night and boy was it scary not only for the guinea but for myself as well.

My GP's names are chocky and rocky.

I have made a cage out of cubes and corrogate plastic but had some cubes left over, so I thought for floor time I would make a small enclosure so I can keep an eye on them.

THIS went Drastically wrong.

I made a small area 2 cubes by 2 cubes starting off and put my 2 GP's in, they seemed to like it for a moment but then they seen through the cubes to a little corner in the room that they wanted to explore.

They both dashed towards the corner and lifted the cubes up with their heads rocky (as fast as he is) managed to get underneath but chocky (the slower one) got his head stuck in the cube. Boy was it scary for me and chocky, he was screaming for some help.

Luckly I had some wire cutters next to me but by the time I got them he managed to get him self unstuck.

I didnt know what to do when his head was stuck. I managed to keep a hold of him making sure he had some room to breath and made sure he was still consious.

As he managed to release himself I picked rocky up from the corner and put him in the cage, I kept a hold of Chocky and made sure he was ok before I put him back in the cage.

I couldnt believe their heads fit in to a square about 1 inch x 1 inch.

Luckly he is fine now, Just a little shaken.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I'm glad your piggy is ok. There are lots of good tips on this site for baby-proofing a cage. It's very important that you make the grids safe for your little ones, as you have just learned the hard way! You can use mesh grids, or closely-space shelving units, or additional coroplast to cover any place where they might be able to escape or get stuck.

Here's a link for more info on this site:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/532.

You can also find advice in the "Safety" forum. Try doing a search for "babies:"
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/cage-safety/.

chris_w

Cavy Slave
Looking at the baby proofing pages what I might do as I have got a fair bit of corrogated plastic left is zip tie about 4 inches to the bottom of each grid so they still have floor time but they cannot get stuck in the grids due to the 4inch corrogate.

I hope it works as I feel horrible for what happened, and I wouldnt forgive myself if anything had happened due to my incompetance.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Don't be too hard on yourself. I know you are new to guinea pigs and there is a lot of information to absorb from this site so it's easy to miss something. The important thing is that you are eager to learn and do what's best for your guinea pigs. Many people who get new pets don't even bother to do the research! So you are already ahead of the game, and I'm sure you'll be a wonderful piggy parent! ;)

chris_w

Cavy Slave
Thanks envisionary333 :) to be honest Ive had 2 guinea's before but they were older so I didnt have to think about their safety when I got them as I knew that they wouldnt fit through the gaps.

Thanks for the Advice.

Its it much appreciated.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
My babies have attempted to do this as well. But ya don't beat up yourself. Like above just baby-proof the cage and you should be fine. I bet it was scary but luckly you have some wire cutters on hand. Just baby-proof and have fun with your young one.

chris_w

Cavy Slave
Im on my way to fully baby proofing the floor mount cage as knowing the GPs they are flightly little ones. They run faster than my arms can move so there maybe no way of catching them if they do get out.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
My pig babies were able to squeeze their entire bodies through a grid until they were 3 months old.

BeckyBoo

Cavy Slave
I am waiting for my cubes to arrive so I can build my two girls a C&C cage. As they are not *very* small pigs (about 3 months old I think) I hadn't thought I would have to think about baby proofing it, but it sounds like I may have to. I'm a bit confused now.

Bubble and Squeak are currently in a pet shop cage, which has horizontal and vertical bars (not crossed squarely, but in longer lengths of one direction with fewer crossing bars, if that makes sense...), with the minimum distance between them being about an inch. I would not say they could get their heads through this (they certainly haven't so far), so I doubt they would be able to get their heads stuck in the grids of the C&C.

Can anyone give me some advice on how I can check whether they are safe when I put them in their new cage, without risking damage or fright to the pigs?

The cage they are in is a slightly larger version of the cage shown in the attachment.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
The only way to tell is to make a judgment yourself on whether they could potentially fit their head through and get stuck. If your piggies are three months old, I would imagine they would be just fine. However, you can never be too safe, so if you are worried you can just add an extra 6" of coroplast or cardboard to the walls.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.