Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Special Needs Poop Question, Please Settle Disagreement

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Hubby and I are having a disagreement in Borat's care. He's sick so we're feeding him Critical Care, and his poops are much smaller and less frequent than usual. Hubby says we should put some of Amy's poop in his cage so he can eat it. I thought only the special poops are helpful, and besides, isn't he getting what he needs from the Critical Care? I can't even believe I'm asking a question about eating poop...ugh. But we're going back and forth on this, so I'd love opinions on whether hubby is nuts or correct.

The special poops have the most good bacteria in them but getting them to feed to another guinea pig is kind of rare. For this reason most people, I think, make poop soup with the regular poops, although the cecotrophs are definitely considered better. Putting some of Amy's poops into Borat's cage won't hurt him, but he probably won't be so thrilled to eat them on his own.

i would say feed Borat Amy's poop since Amy is healthy good luck hope Borat gets better soon

Hubby's idea of feeding the poop is a good one, but you'll probably have to mash it up with some water and syringe it to Borat. Amy will NOT want to part with the cecotroph.

Aren't cecotrophs expelled and eaten very quickly? I would think it would be hard to snatch one, no?

Hope your piggie gets better! Do you have another thread with information on his sickness?

Hope your piggie gets better! Do you have another thread with information on his sickness?
Ugh! Well, I guess hubby is right, but before I try any sort of soup, I'm going to stick with Critical Care and hope it works. This is the thread with his saga: (broken link removed)

Originally I was afraid Amy was getting sick, too, but she's a high strung piggy so I think she was just reacting to my being freaked out. She's just fine, although she's very secretive about her special poops. I've seen Borat eat his a few times but only caught her once.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.