Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ply Wood Cage

lampy

Cavy Slave
I am an idiot, i have already made my cage without checking if the wood will harm my piggies. they will have fleece-towel-fleece liner, but ply wood sides,roof and floor WILL THEY BE OK? i expect its not the best stuff, but its not poisinous or anything right?

pennick

Cavy Slave
wood sides, roof and floor. Where is it opened for ventilation?

lampy

Cavy Slave
oh! sorry it was a wire front

lampy

Cavy Slave
hang on i go take a picture of it

lampy

Cavy Slave
they be on about 7 pm

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Wooden houses give poor ventilation and they get stained by urine. You will need to replace it more often then you would a C&c cage

Plummie

Cavy Slave
I agree. I would also worry about ventilation with such an enclosure. Urine will seep through the bedding to the plywood, causing it to warp, and you will never be able to get it truly clean. Lastly, be VERY careful that your piggies do not have access to any exposed edges of the plywood to chew. Plywood is made with a toxic glue and if ingested, can be very bad.

Perhaps you can make some modifications to your current cage to improve it? You could build a coroplast tray that slides in the bottom to protect the bottom from urine. You could remove the plywood roof for ventilation and replace it with wire or grids for better ventilation, or use a hole saw to drill ventilation holes in the upper sides of the cage and cover with wire. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I suggest the same, make a coroplast box to fit inside to protect the wood and to prevent the piggies from chewing on the wood. Also make a different type of top because they don't have near enough ventilation.

lampy

Cavy Slave
could i not just drill holes in the roof, + they will be outside during summer so it must be weatherproof!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I know you live in England so I am not sure how hot the weather gets there during the summer. Pigs are best housed indoors summer and winter. But my concern is hot weather during the summer and if they are going to be outside then the cage can and possibly will get too hot and the pigs can suffer from heatstrokes. The temperature range to keep pigs in is between 65 and 75 degrees Farenheit.

Can you possibly keep your piggies indoor all year round? If there is absolutely no way you can then drilling holes in the lid isn't a good solution really. You could always put a wire or wire shelving top on the cage and then build some sort of roof that would sit about a foot or so above that and have legs extending down to the ground or to the top part of the cage. They really really need a lot of ventilation.

lampy

Cavy Slave
english summmer... hmmm well that would include rain, rain, hmmm rain, oh ad maybe some clouds lol i know american summers are like 100 degrees f but in england, in a heat stroke, we MIGHT JUST get 70

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
You really wouldn't want to keep them outdoors in the rain because it would probably discourage you from going out to play with them and such. Also there could be other disease associated with guinea pigs and rain I haven't heard about.

lampy

Cavy Slave
but if i keep them inside the ventilation will be even worse!

Katie

Cavy Slave
lampy said:
but if i keep them inside the ventilation will be even worse!
Hows that?

I live in Ohio, it usually only gets up to 85 degrees F in the summer, once in a great while it will get to 90. I had my sows in a wooden hutch last summer in 75 degree weather in the shade. One of my sows suffered from heat stroke. I will never take that chance again.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
lampy, I asked about weather because I am a resident of the U.S., therefore I know nothing of England's temperatures summer or winter. I feel the only way I am going to learn is to ask. Of course, when I lived in Washington State, your description of the rainy weather fit that to at tee, lol.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Keep the pigs inside and there should be more venilation.

lampy

Cavy Slave
mabye i should keep them in the greenhouse?

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Wouldn't that be really hot & humid?

Katie

Cavy Slave
mabye i should keep them in the greenhouse?
Your kidding, right?

NO! A greenhouse is hot, humid, and breeding grounds for bacteria, this is the same reason why guinea pigs can't live in aquariums because they have the "greenhouse effect."

Keep them inside where they will be safe. I don't understand why it's so hard.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.