Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Please Read!

dandelion

Cavy Slave
This really has nothing to do with guinea pigs, but I am hoping that if you love guinea pigs you love all animals. In the United States the government is trying to go ahead with drilling for oil on the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska. This will effect the lives of many animals. Please go to (broken link removed) to learn more about it and to sign the petition.

I signed it :)

This isn't going to do much good, hasn't the bill already been passed to ok the drilling? I happen to live with an alaskan native, a full-blooded Aleut (sp?) and even she thinks they should drill. I will sign it, but I think when even the natives don't want to protect the land, it's a lost cause. People care more about their SUV's then our planet, a petition won't change that.

I signed it.

I know petitions normally do not accomplish anything. But that is not a reason not to sign it. If you believe in the cause please sign it, I'm not saying it will change anything but it is always worth a try to make change if you believe in the cause. The natives in the U.S. may not care but we do in Canada. The Gwitch'in people rely on the Porcupine Caribou herd that has its calving grounds on the refuge in Alaska. Where they plan to drill is basically exactly where they go. The Gwitch'in maintain this herd by only hunting a reasonable amount each year and watching the numbers as to sustain the herd for their future, now it is threatened to be wiped out by greedy people. It will be very sad to see their culture taken away from them. Havn't Canada and the U.S. done enough to the Natives and Inuit cultures who by right have more claim to the land then we do? The refuge was created in the 1960's and expanded in the 1980's by Presidents who obviously cared about conservation, now it could be ruined by a President who only seems to go after oil (sorry I do not mean to offend anyone by that common, it is just my own opinion). The oil on the refuge will only provide 3% of the U.S. oil consumption.

I signed it too.

I did sign it and sent it to 20+ people. Spread the word too, that will increase the chances. Hopefully we'll get lucky and Bush will grow a heart. Not likely, but whatever. Don't worry about offending, most everyone I know hates Bush.

Thanks guys! I really hope we can make a difference.

Yeah, me too. Fingers crossed, you never know!

Just posting so this can go near the top again and maybe more people will read it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.