Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues Please read and help Aslan! I wanna get him a spade girl but have alot of questions!!

Luna8

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!!
So, as some of you now, I have three piggies, all brother and sisters. LordBrocktree, a girl, Coffy, a girl that lives with her sister LordBrocktree, and Aslan, male, who lives by himself.
So today I had first Aslan and then the girl out, (Aslan put back before they came out, of course), on the floor, running about, and the girls decided to go to my room where they all live, and go up and sniffle with Aslan through the grids.
Important that you know, the girls like Aslan, but they can do without him, while Aslan, goes CRAZY about them!!!!
So LordBrocktree goes and actually goes nose-to-nose with Aslan, and then we hurridly scooped up the girls and put them back, but Aslan still wanted them!! Now, the only reaason I haven't gotten him a buddy (or, at least, not yet), is that I've heard that male guineas can get along with one another, but requires a bigger cage, more time, more attention, etc., so I didn't look into getting a freind for him.
But!
My question, is that what if I get him a spaid female to go with him? None of my guinea pigs are spade, I think it very rude, but if it means helping Aslan, well, I'd try to do anything for him! But there are a few things I am unsure about...Quite alot of things, at that. Here are some:

1) If Aslan is not neutered and I get him a spade female, how do they usually react? I'm not sure if he will like it. I mean, won't he probably try to hump her, but then, not be able to mate with her? Or do they just live peacfully together? Or, would he only try to hump her when she's in heat? Or, would she even get in heat if she is spade?

2) How large do you recommend a cage for the two of them? The one I just made Aslan is not finished, but it's 2+4. I highly doubt that will be enough room for the two of them.

3) How much more expensive do you think it will be if I get her? I would have four guinea pigs then.

4) Another question concerning expenses: I know that getting a guinea pig neutered/spade is very expensive, but HOW expensive do you think?

5) I was wondering, if you think this idea would be Ok, if I rescued a female that had ALREADY been spade? I was just thinking it might be better for multiple reasons, one being that when you get an animal neutered/spade, they sometimes don't remember you?

So if anyone has any of these answeres, or things they feel they should tell me, go ahead!! I'll be fine if you tell me you think what I'm doing shouldn't be done :). Just general info tossed around is greatly appreciated!
So thanks in advance everybody,
Luna!

If you feel you must do this, I recommend getting a girl that is already spayed. Spaying is a much more invasive procedure than neutering a male, so if you can find a girl that made it through it, go for it. (And I don't think it has anything to do with the animal's memory.) But if you have the money to spend on getting another girl and having her spayed, why don't you see if you can get Aslan neutered? Then you can combine the cages and they can have tons of room! :)
With that being said, why don't you just get him a boy as a friend? Finish the one you are making currently. See if you can move things around and make some more room.
I've never had any of mine neutered, so someone who has a girl and guy together can provide more information. I hope this helped :)

Thank you, it helped alot!! I'm going to keep hunting around for poeple who have a neutered and a spayed guinea together!

My question, is that what if I get him a spaid female to go with him? None of my guinea pigs are spade, I think it very rude, but if it means helping Aslan, well, I'd try to do anything for him!

It's a fallacy that males cannot get along with each other. I've had 11 males over the last 6 years and have never had a problem with intros or with any of the males as roomies. My suggestion is, rather than putting him through the procedure of neutering, look for a male buddy for him.

1) If Aslan is not neutered and I get him a spade female, how do they usually react? I'm not sure if he will like it. I mean, won't he probably try to hump her, but then, not be able to mate with her? Or do they just live peacfully together? Or, would he only try to hump her when she's in heat? Or, would she even get in heat if she is spade?

Males and spayed females can live together in relative harmony. It really depends mostly on the personalities of the individual pigs. Yes, he probably will mount her but if she is spayed, it will not result in pregnancy. If she was spayed, she wouldn't go into heat.

2) How large do you recommend a cage for the two of them? The one I just made Aslan is not finished, but it's 2+4. I highly doubt that will be enough room for the two of them.

A 2X4 is fine for 2 pigs but bigger is always better. Males tend to need more room than females so you might opt for the larger 2X5 to give each of them a little more breathing room.

3) How much more expensive do you think it will be if I get her? I would have four guinea pigs then.

Having 4 pigs isn't much more expensive than having 3.

4) Another question concerning expenses: I know that getting a guinea pig neutered/spade is very expensive, but HOW expensive do you think?

The cost depends really on the individual vet. Ask the vet you take your pigs to how much they charge but before you consider allowing them to do it, make sure to ask what their history/experience is with neutering/spaying guinea pigs and how many they have done in the past. Make sure you pick a vet to do it, who has experience with guinea pig neutering/spaying.

5) I was wondering, if you think this idea would be Ok, if I rescued a female that had ALREADY been spade? I was just thinking it might be better for multiple reasons, one being that when you get an animal neutered/spade, they sometimes don't remember you?

Rescuing is a fabulous idea. Some rescues neuter/spay all their animals before adopting them out. You can check but unless they do it as a matter of policy, or someone turned in a pig that happened to already be spayed, it's not likely you will find one that's already spayed but it couldn't hurt to look.

I would do one of three things.

Get him neutered so he can live with the girls he already seems to like. You will have call around and ask the price from vets in your area. It can vary greatly from place to place. He will not loose his memory from being neutered. The same anesthesia that is used on animals is used on people. People don't go in for tonsillectomies and come out not knowing who they are or where they are. Animals don't go in for neuters and come out forgetful either. =)

Get a boyfriend for him. Male guinea pigs can live just fine together. I have 4 that all met as adults and all live happily together. They can require a bit more space but with a 2x4 you should have enough room for two males to be happy together. I don't do anything differently than female guinea pig owners.

Get him a girl that has already been spayed. Your best bet here would be to start contacting rescues and asking them about spayed females. I wouldn't trust someone off of craig's list just claiming to have a spayed female unless they had paper work to back it up. You will still need a 2x4 cage so the space should be the same. He probably will not try to mate with her since she will not have any pheromones though he may hump as a sign of dominance.

I would do one of three things.

Get him neutered so he can live with the girls he already seems to like. You will have call around and ask the price from vets in your area. It can vary greatly from place to place. He will not loose his memory from being neutered. The same anesthesia that is used on animals is used on people. People don't go in for tonsillectomies and come out not knowing who they are or where they are. Animals don't go in for neuters and come out forgetful either. =)

Get a boyfriend for him. Male guinea pigs can live just fine together. I have 4 that all met as adults and all live happily together. They can require a bit more space but with a 2x4 you should have enough room for two males to be happy together. I don't do anything differently than female guinea pig owners.

Get him a girl that has already been spayed. Your best bet here would be to start contacting rescues and asking them about spayed females. I wouldn't trust someone off of craig's list just claiming to have a spayed female unless they had paper work to back it up. You will still need a 2x4 cage so the space should be the same. He probably will not try to mate with her since she will not have any pheromones though he may hump as a sign of dominance.

Hey, sorry, I didn't mean to quote that, clicked on the wrong thing, I do that alot on accedint. But are all the things you said really possible? And I wanna thank you all, it's really helped me out! My mom was wondering if the proximity of the two cages is like torture to an un-neutered male? The girl's cage is 2x5, and Aslan's cage is 2x4, and the cages are about 2 feet apart. I'm just having trouble, if I should get him neutered and let him live with his siters, get him a male buddy, or, get him a spade female. SOO hard to decide, I guess I'll just have to do more research on all the potions :expressio....:)!
Thank you all, your so much help,
Luna:love:

Yes you can do any of those 3 things and it will probably work out. Just weight the options and the costs and talk to your parents and figure out what will work best for your family.

I'm not sure if moving the cages together would drive your male nuts. I have never had two guinea pigs of the same sex in the same room. Maybe another member could answer that for you better. Sorry.

Hey, it's Ok, you've already helped ALOT on this one :).
I'ts soo hard to dicide.
As you suggested, I'm gonna talk it out with the family, although it'll be hard with my sister, who thinks she HASE to know more than me, even my own pets, although I probably know much more than her by now, :sarcastic. But enought contest, :D Thing is, I think that Ozzy would love to get neutered and be with his sisters, and I think he's love a neutered male buddy, but then I also think he'd love a girl of his own, :sad:.
*Sigh* I know it's impossible, but it would be soo amazing if there was a way that we could get him neutered, get him a neutered male buddy, then put them with the girls.
It's amazing how my mind can wander into these far-away-from-reality-thoughts, lol!
It's soo hard to dicide what to do, but you know what? I'll probably winde up getting Ozzy neutered and putting him with the girls, but as I said, I'll have to disscuss it with the family :).

I want to thank you so much for you're time and help,
Luna:love:!

Is 'Ozzy' Aslan? Or do you have another male?
I've had a neutered male paired with a female before. They were best friends. Neutering is definitely a better, less invasive procedure than spaying. So unless you find a lady pig who is already spayed or a suitable male friend, I would look into getting Aslan neutered.

Thank you, that was very helpfull.
And 'Ozzy,' is Aslan, yes. Sometimes it seems in a post that it would sounds better calling you're piggy it's 'pet-name,' :D.
But I talked to the family last night, (in quite a unprofessional manner, you see, lol!), my dad doesn't agree, but my mom and sister and me wanna get him neutered.
My dad didn't forbide it, but he said that it's part of a boy and shouldn't get ride of it, and went on this long,long thing, but he said I could, but just wasn't gonna be a part of it, but oh well.

Thank you all,

I will never understand that argument against neutering and ONLY men give that argument. I have never had a woman tell me spaying was wrong because it takes away the animal's "woman" bits. :sarcastic Even my own husband used that one once. Just once. I don't think he'll dare do it again. lol

I'm glad you can get him neutered. He will be happy with the girls and you can combine the cages and make one big cage if you wanted. If your family wants more guinea pigs one day though it would be best to add girls and not more boys. =D

Well, actually, there's some bad news.
This morning, my mom did some research on a very good site, filled with good info I know, it was made by CavySpirit. If you would like to see it, here it is:

Guinea Pig Neutering, How to Neuter your Guinea Pigs

So you know how spaying a girl is very dnagerouse, but on this site it says that also male neutering is dangerouse. A story on there is so sad, it's about a man who found a guinea pig next to a dumpster and took it home, took it to the vet, who said it was a male, and they put it with their ohter, 'male.' So, as you can guess, their original was actually a female, they had babies, but they left the male in. They had more babies, so they took him out, and got him neutered. While he was recovering....This is the heartbreaking part...WHile he was recovering, his guts fell out of his stiches and he died, :guilty:.
It's one of the saddest piggy stories I've ever heard.
I don't know why, but I felt I needed someone else that I could tell, sorry if that was too much, but I do feel better now.

I'm not risking my guinea pig's life...Not unless I find an experienced vet who has done tons of neutering on guinea pigs.

So, untile I find out more, (even though it would be great for everyone, I doubt I'll get him neutered), I'm going to either find him a spayed female, or, get him a male buddy, although I'll have to make sure I can return him to the rescue if it doesn't work out.
If anyone know anything about this, feel free to share, thanks,
Luna

That site is owned and maintained by the owner of this forum and it isn't meant to deter folks from neutering, just make them aware of the risks. I've had many spayed females and many neutered males - the key is an experienced vet. I'd focus on finding a good vet over a spayed female - you'll need one eventually anyway.

Thank you so much Paula!
It reasures me to know that there is a possibility that he could still have his dream, as well as mine. Sadly, where I live there are no small animal vet...Not ones that I thought were very good with the animals, and experienced. So we're gonna haved to travel a little to get to a vet, but it's worth it for Aslan!

Hey, it's Ok, you've already helped ALOT on this one :).
I'ts soo hard to dicide.
As you suggested, I'm gonna talk it out with the family, although it'll be hard with my sister, who thinks she HASE to know more than me, even my own pets, although I probably know much more than her by now, :sarcastic. But enought contest, :D Thing is, I think that Ozzy would love to get neutered and be with his sisters, and I think he's love a neutered male buddy, but then I also think he'd love a girl of his own, :sad:.

Dont put more than one male with a group of females. Even if they are neutered they will probably fight over the girls. You could have one male with more than one girl but you cant have 2 males in the same cage with the girls because they will argue over dominance and whos property the girl is

There's nothing wrong with having a cage with females and another cage with males. I've had male pairs, females pairs, female herds, a herd with a neutered male with females and,in each of these cases, the guinea pigs seemed content. One of my most bonded pairs was made up of males.

Thank you so much Paula!
It reasures me to know that there is a possibility that he could still have his dream, as well as mine. Sadly, where I live there are no small animal vet...Not ones that I thought were very good with the animals, and experienced. So we're gonna have to travel a little to get to a vet, but it's worth it for Aslan!

I see you're in Oregon. I have a recommendation from multiple people for a vet in Seattle but that's a LONG drive. Just throwing it out there...

Oh, hiya!
LOL, I didn't know this thread was still going! :D Glad it is, though.
Yeah, Seattle is a long drive, but if I had fresh veggies in the car....maybe it wouldn't be so bad.
What's his/her name?

Oh, hiya!
LOL, I didn't know this thread was still going! :D Glad it is, though.
Yeah, Seattle is a long drive, but if I had fresh veggies in the car....maybe it wouldn't be so bad.
What's his/her name?

Dr. Sperlich at Brown's Point Vet Clinic in NE Tacoma. The number is 253-927-1323.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.