Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Please HELP!

marilis_a

Cavy Slave
I took in two guinea pigs two days ago. They are both female. The lady i got them from said they are mother and daughter and have been together since the daughter was born. The daughter is now 5 mths old. When i brought the guinea pigs home i took them out of my basket to let the mother named gigi stretch her legs. In doing so i noticed she is fairly huge. I am not much experienced with guinea pigs, but am learning and i love them dearly! just out of couriousity. Could she be pregnant? What does everyone think? [GuineaPigCages.com] Please HELP![GuineaPigCages.com] Please HELP![GuineaPigCages.com] Please HELP!

It's possible but not certain. She could just be a big pig. If she is pregnant, she's not particularly close to delivery, I don't think -- she doesn't have that classic shape.

First, go to Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig and make sure you've got two females. If you do, and the possibly-pregnant one hasn't been with a male in at least 9-10 weeks, she's not pregnant. If you don't, well, all bets are off, and they need to be separated immediately.

Second, at about 6-7 weeks, you should be able to feel any babies kicking by pressing in gently along her flank with your fingers. Read (broken link removed) for more information. Before that time, ultrasound is really the only way to tell for sure about pregnancies. You can't do it with an x-ray until the bones have mineralized, and that's fairly late in the pregnancy.

Do start weighing her every day and record her weights -- that'll give you a basis to go on.

bpatters has some excellent advice. She just looks chubby to me. I adopted an older piggy that looked that way, but after a few months of having a C&C to exercise in she has slimmed down. Were they in a small cage before?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.