Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Please Help!!!

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I took my three girls to the vet today for their first injections for their mites. Well, I got them home probably about 5 hours ago and my worst infected girl is going absolutely crazy trying to scratch herself. She keeps flipping onto her back because she is trying to bite herself so bad. IT really looks bad because she cannot easily turn back over unto her legs and I have had to help her get up a couple of times already. Is this normal??? The vet did tell me that it would probably get a lot worse before it got better, but I wasn't expecting anything like this. Does anyone know how long this will go on before she starts to settle down a little bit. (I have had to separate her from the other 2 guineas because she was becoming very angry with them and actually kicked one of them when she was attempting to get off of her back)

miskaffon

Cavy Slave
Have you called the vet back? That would be my first step....

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Yeah its normal, when mites get really bad it cause almost seizures.Don't worry about it for a day or so. She will get better.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
ok, thanks. Should I keep her separated from my other two that aren't even showing any symptoms. I kinda worried that she will accidently hurt them or will this just cause her more stress?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't separate them. It would stress her out more. Didn't the vet give you any steroids or pain meds? If she is really bad and seizing, she needs them. You may need to bandage her so she cannot scratch.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
She actually did not appear to be in enough pain to require steroids, she only started acting like this after I brought her home. She has no open scabs or anything. She doesn't ever scream in pain except for when we pick her up (which were not doing right now, because we don't want to hurt her). It seems more like she is terribly uncomfortable and I should specify that she is not scratching, she is actually trying to bit as far back as she can reach. The vet is still not even absolutely sure if it is mites or not (plus this was sort of an emergency visit, as we only noticed last week that she did have something wrong with her, so I haven't been able to save up a lot of money yet, as payday is only friday). He took a small sample of the fur that she was shedding that still had skin attached and he could not find any mites, but he knows that it doesn't mean that they don't have them. When I bring them back in a week, he is going to check if they have improved and if they haven't at all or have gotten worse, he is also going to treat them for a fungus, because she also has a large bald spot on her nose that has a little scab in it that looks more like it was caused by a fungus type irritation, it doesn't look like a bite wound.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
She could have fungus and mites. You can get anti fungal cream and put it on there twice a day for 30 days. Or anti fungal shampoo, but if she has mites, I wouldn't bathe her. There's pics of fungus at guinealynx. You can see if it looks like that. Good luck with the little one.

guinea_piglet

Cavy Slave
i would definitally call the vet. I hope everything turns out okay! ;)

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
Well, just an update. Her behavior continued for about another 2 or 3 hours, but then it seemed to have improved. She is stracthing a little bit more than she was before, but I know that this is normal. My other two girls, who never stracthed, are now scratching constantly, so I guess that means that they did have mites too. Anyway, I'll see how they all are today, but I think that they have really calmed down. thanks for all of the advice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.