Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Please help

Mochibutt

Cavy Gazer
Our pig has a urinary stone but we called over the phone so it’s not 100%. He does seem to have symptoms. We can’t afford it and all we could think about was putting him down. Any suggestions? We are devastated 😭

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I sent you a PM about some stuff that helped us. I also really recommend a low calcium diet and filtered water. Be careful not to feed a ton of veggies, and change your pellets to a low-calcium brand if needed.

It sounds like you didn't have xrays, which is the only way to confirm stones. I would have that done if you can afford it.

I was afraid I'd have to euthanize my bladder stone pig, but it is not the end just yet if they have stones!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you truly can't afford an x-ray, check around you for guinea pig rescues that might be able to take him and get him the medical care he needs.

And please don't get another pet if you can't afford care for it. Medical care is just as much a part of responsible pet ownership as food, water and shelter. These little critters depend on you for everything, and it's not fair to them to keep them and let them suffer because you can't afford their care.

Mochibutt

Cavy Gazer
@bpatters We were new to the whole pet thing so we don't know much. We took him in cause he was neglected and we felt bad. Sorry for the inconvenience.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not an inconvenience. But bladder stones need to be definitively diagnosed, and removed if they're too large to pass on their own. Left untreated, they can fall into the urethra and completely block the flow of urine, which is a painful, expensive emergency. Far better to get him in for x-rays and a diagnosis than to let it ride.