Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Please help!!! My guinea pig has a kidney pain.

GeorgiAnimalLov

Cavy Slave
Hello all,

I just came from holiday and picked up my guinea pigs of my friens who minded them for me for 8 days. Now Im realizing that one of my guinies has probably a pain of her kidneys, because everytime I stroke her she squeaks and moves once i touch the kidney area.
What can I do to relieve her pain and What that could be???
her urine seems to be ok, no color, she also has very soft poo.
what could it be? Do you know any Urological tea for guinea pig or any other drug? thank you very much

Get this Pig to a small exotic animal vet who can pinpoint the cause of pains.

https://www.facebook.com/anicareveterinarygroup

_
_

A quick Google search revealed many possible vets in Dublin, Ireland. Just search this if you want to browse for yourself: dublin ireland small animal vets

__

When you say Kidney, where exactly do you mean? Like, her sides, undercarriage, or what else? Does she seem to be at all bloated (just fatter, pear shaped) or eating/drinking excessively? The Pig may be preggers, perhaps.

Kidney problems are more likely shown by pain or difficulty when urinating than by touch. Just petting her wouldn't indicate a problem with the kidney. It's more likely a surface problem like on the skin than anything internal. Sometimes a painful reaction to touch can be an indication of mites.

Either way, a trip to the vet is definitely in order.

I'd treat her for mites before worrying about kidney problems. Most guinea pigs with moderate to severe infestations of mites will object if you touch them on their backs and sides.

You can treat her yourself with ivermectin -- see www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html and www.guinealynx.info/mites.html for more information. I'm not sure what ivermectin is called in Ireland -- animec, bimectin, depidex and ivomec all apparently have ivermectin in them, but I'm not sure which of them would be appropriate for a guinea pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.