Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Please Help Me!!!

Squirle

Cavy Slave
Please help me here guys! I need some expert advice. :weepy:

I have a pair of 2 piggy girls, they are about 6 months old, and I've had them for about 4 monthes. Anyway, I am having HUGE problems taming them! No matter what i do they are SOOO afraid of me, I'm always very nice to them, never hurt them, I am always gentle handleing them/petting them, but they are very very wild!

When I go to see them they run and hude, and when I try to pick them up, they just run and hide, also when i hold them, after less than a minute they bite extreamly hard, its so very fusterating! I don't understand what i'm doing wrong! :sorry:

They have been treated for mites, but still bite ALL the time!

Anyway, I need help, these little girls are driving me bonkers!

Thanks for your time!:eek:

falken

Cavy Slave
Do you have a big cage.mabye all piggers are like this when young

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Yes, they probably are still a bit scared. They need time and gentle handling to tame up. Have you tried bribing them with treats or food? So you have a cozy or cuddle cup to scoop them up in?

JennG

Cavy Slave
My Coco is about 4 1/2 mons old and she's the same but so is Callie who seems to be around 1yr. Coco likes to "taste" things. I've also heard that a majority of piggies will run and hide when you try and pick them up. All my girls but Angel (she's blind) will run but they all seem to settle down once I have them even Callie who we think was abused. She's the worse to get and wheeks like she's protesting that she doesn't want to be picked up.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
They are prey animals. It's part of their natural instincts to run and hide. Only a few actually get to where you can pet them or pick them up without running. It has nothing to do with liking you or not. Only 3 of my 7 sows will let me pet them without running and only 2 will actually let me pick them up without running. I have had 4 of these pigs for about a year now and most still run.

As far as the biting see www.cavyspirit.com/biting.htm

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
Squirle said:
Please help me here guys! I need some expert advice. :weepy:

I have a pair of 2 piggy girls, they are about 6 months old, and I've had them for about 4 monthes. Anyway, I am having HUGE problems taming them!

You may want to try starting out very slowly. Put a chair next to their cage and just sit and talk with them but don't put your hands into their cage. You could even read a book or something. Next take some lettuce or a favorite veggie and hold it partly into their cage while speaking very softly. It may take a long time but patience is key here. Eventually they will sneak up and nibble the food. The next step would be to hold the veggies inside of their cage and let them eat while you are still holding it. They will begin to associate your hands with good things. Don't try to pet them or touch them at all during this point. Only use your hands for giving food. After this is working well, place a towel on your lap with a big pile of veggies. Then just hold the piggie and let him enjoy the food. Eventually you can slowly start to pet him. This may seem like a lot of work but you will be so happy with the results! Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.