Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Please help me! My girl is acting funny

rhonda_j1954

Cavy Slave
Bless her little piggie heart!:heart: I sure hope that little girl will be okay. Glad you were able to get her to the vet. I know how tramatic that must have been for you. Sounds like the both of you could use a little rest. Do take care of yourself, and that little girl of yours. Hope she gets to feeling better and is popcorning in no time.:goodvibes

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much Rhonda!

She is eating lettuce and hay and pretty much about 95% back to her normal self! She even took her Batyril like a little trooper!

Thank goodness I got her somewhere otherwise I'd still be sitting here crying and being a nervous wreck!

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Ah. An ear infection makes sense. There are several ear pathologies in humans which cause that type of rapid eye movements. It has to do with the vestibular (balance) system being involved because it is very close to the middle ear which is where most infections start.

That sounds much better than a seizure or other serious problem! Glad she's on the mend so quickly. Sounds like you were able to see a very competent vet.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
I agree, PiggieMama.

She was young but definitely seemed to know what she was talking about. The vestibular was exactly what she said, she sent me home some print out's about it.

I'm glad she knew her stuff.

clotho

Cavy Slave
Good for you for getting Layla to the vet right away! I'm glad it was an ear infection and not something worse. I wish her a speedy recovery!!

Are you giving her probiotics after her baytril? I think it should be a couple hours after the baytril if I"m not mistaken. The probiotics will help her system stay in balance while she's on the antibiotic. Keep a close eye on her for any signs of intolerance to the antibiotic.

Guinea Lynx :: What You Need To Know About Antibiotics
Guinea Lynx :: Probiotics

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
Good for you for getting Layla to the vet right away! I'm glad it was an ear infection and not something worse. I wish her a speedy recovery!!

Are you giving her probiotics after her baytril? I think it should be a couple hours after the baytril if I"m not mistaken. The probiotics will help her system stay in balance while she's on the antibiotic. Keep a close eye on her for any signs of intolerance to the antibiotic.

Guinea Lynx :: What You Need To Know About Antibiotics
Guinea Lynx :: Probiotics

Yeah the "yogurt" kinda stuff that looks like vaseline? Yeah the vet gave us some of that as well, clotho.

I believe I'm supposed to give her about 1 ml of the probio, is that right?

Is it okay to put that stuff in the refrigerator to keep it cool like the Baytril?

rhonda_j1954

Cavy Slave
I am so happy to hear about your little one doing so well.:heart: Thanks for sharing the good news. Ya know, in many ways our little piggies are like our children. But the thing is, when they hurt, or not feeling well, they can't really tell us what is wrong so that we know what to do. You acting as quick as you did was what saved her. Looks like you are taking great care of your little girl. Hope she continues to get better. Bet that is a great relief to you, huh?:relieved:

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
I totally know, Rhonda.

Right when I saw her acting like that, my immediate reaction was that she was getting ready to die...only because I've only seen one animal die in front of me before and that was my dog of 13 years, Cinnamon. She started acting similar and just acting weak and sort of having a mild seizure right before she died and I guess it just reminded me of that.

I just started freaking out and crying and thinking she was about to die, my boyfriend (the "sane one" as I call him) had to calm me down and tell me to stop thinking the worst. He is the one that called the vets because I was too hysterical to do it and he drove us.

I just got finished holding Layla, poor thing has greasy marks on her ears from the drops and she looks so funny, but she appears to be pretty much back to normal, but does seem a little lethargic but I read that Baytril can make piggies sleepy but I just have to make sure she is eating. Speaking of, I better go feed my babies their evening salad as I'm sure they are waiting for the sound of the fridge opening and the sounds of the veggie bags crunching. :cheerful:

rhonda_j1954

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you are being the perfect little mom to her. :heart: If the meds are making her sleep, maybe that is what she needs right now. Since she is getting over an illness, rest maybe be very good for her. But if she is eating also, that is a good sign she is recovering. Looks like you are doing all you can for her. Keep up the good work!:eek:ptimist:

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
She is my baby. She was the first guinea pig I ever had and she is the "head honcho" in our cage. All the other piggies know it, too! Hahah.

And goodness I know she didn't lose her appetite because she is in there chowin' down on her salad! She is about to get her second does of Baytril for the day. She isn't gonna like me much! :)

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad to see that your little girl is doing better. Thanks to a good piggie mom, and a good cavy savvy vet!

Kudos to your boyfriend for being the "sane one". My husband is usually the one who has to calm me down and make me "get a grip" too!

Best wishes from us, and our babies, to Layla for a speedy recovery! :)

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Wheek. It must be a woman thing to be a little on edge. But it's good sometimes because it makes us act quickly in a desperate situation.

Again, I'm grateful that this vet was so helpful. I have gone to that particular vet clinic once and was not too happy because the vet gave Layla a skin sample to check for mites without my consent. But the vet last night was awesome and very helpful. It's good to know there's somewhere I can turn to in that situation, and the clinic is literally 2 miles down the road!

clotho

Cavy Slave
I assume you're using Benebac or something simliar. I haven't used that before, so I'm not positive about refrigeration or how much to give. I have always used acidophilus powder from capsules. I'd suggest posting on Guinea Lynx and asking there - they have more medical experience there. Or you could try a search on the forum for benebac or probiotic and maybe you'll find what you're looking for in another thread.

I'm so glad she is not losing her appetite. Just keep an eye on it. I hope you are weighing her to make sure she's not losing weight. That will tell you for sure if she's eating enough.

All our best to Layla to recover fully and quickly!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.