Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying PLEASE: Help me help Auggie thru this.

Alaskangurl

Cavy Slave
MiniMe is a BOY and I think Auggie is Prego

Discovered MiniMe is a boy :eek: and made my XL C&C cage into 2 smaller cages. One for Boys and one for Girls....now I am afraid Auggie is prego. She is acting different, very quiet, not eating much except hay and pellets and drinking water. She is just a little bit pear shaped but not even close to some of the pictures I have seen of other PG piggies. I did feel her tummy and felt what I think are two of her nipples to be quite large and rounded, about like a large marble. I didn't feel any babies or see any movement or hear anything so I still am unsure as to whether she is really PG. Probably in denial, right? I am so new to the piggie world I am just figuring out how things work with these wonderful furbabies....Plan to take her to the Vet as soon as I can get an appt. Do they just grow feeding nipples for as many babies as they are going to have or do they all grow? I am praying all goes well because we found Auggie outside and I have no idea how old she is or whether she has had babies before. I am worried that if she is PG somethhing will happen. Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance!

Re: MiniMe is a BOY and I think Auggie is Prego

A vet visit may be in order. An overall check would be a plus. To see if she is pregnant and to make sure all is well. Not knowing the age and if she has had a litter before could be a problem. A females pelvic bones grow together after 7 months and giving birth can be a real prob lem. If the bones have grown together she will have to have a c-section. Do have a good exotic vet you can go to.

59-72 days is a normal pregnancy. You would be best to weigh her everyday. Her weight will change as she grows larger. You can go on guinea lynx and search in the medical section for pregnancy. There is alot of info there. Also you can do a search here. There is alot of threads on pregnancy.

Diet. She can have more calcium. Alfalfa hay, Kale, parsley. Just a good diet with good veggies everyday.

Ditto Suzi.

And she won't grow any more nipples. If she has more than two pups, they'll just have to share.

Thanks for the info, yes I have a good exotic Vet and will set up the appt. ASAP. I will start reading all I can find on being a G-ma. Going to find a scale today. I only have a vague idea of when she might have gotten PG so my dates are going to be unknown but I will watch her daily to make sure she is okay. She really doesn't do good in the diet dept. I keep chopping things up and offering them to her but she doesn't seem to eat much besides carrots, pellets & hay. I have good quality pellets (Mazuri) and fresh local hay so she is good there. I am going to try and put the finely chopped up greens (celantro, spinach, lettuce, etc) one at a time on a little of the pellets so I can monitor whether she eats anything, but I don't want her to not eat anything in her condition. I have tried all kinds of vegs and fruit to see if she will eat them willingly but no dice, it is carrots and pellets & hay of course.

Don't seem to have to worry about MiniMe, he eats everything in sight....

If she weren't so pregnant, I'd say withhold the carrots and only give her the diced veggies on the pellets. But she is, so don't do that. But don't give her more than a baby carrot per day -- they're too high in oxalates and vitamin for that.

Wow, what news. The Vet does not think Auggie is PG. He couldn't feel any fetus and said if she was he should be able to feel the fetus as early as 15 days into the pregnancy. The nipples being large are a mystery, he aspirated(spelling) them and got some liquid. He thought maybe tumors, but no. I am still to keep watch over her to make sure we just are too early, but I do believe MiniMe has been out of the cage for almost 15 days now...She weighs in at 2.5# and not knowing what a GP should weigh, is that high, low, average?????
I have a scale and will weigh her periodically now that I have a basis to go on. I am working on getting her to eat more than carrots, pellets and hay. Hey always and forever, pellets w/ finely diced spinach on it and shreded carrots (small amount) with shredded lettuce mixed in. I will increase the amount of shredded lettuce and reduce the carrots adding in other vegs after she eats more lettuce and spinach. Pellets are 1/4 cup but I also read here it should only be 1/8 cup, which is correct? Hopefully this will change her eating habits to a more healthy diet of lots of different vegs and someday even a fruit.
Thank you all for your helpful advice.

Glad she's not pregnant. Maybe hormone problems? Crusty nipples, hair loss along the flanks and aggressive behavior are often signs of that. You could keep an eye out for it.

My two sows weigh 2.85 and 2.9 pounds, and neither is fat. But it depends on the bone structure of the guinea pig as to whether that's too heavy.

You don't have to shred the veggies that she's already eating. Those teeth are like razor knives. I just cut mine in enough chunks that both pigs have an equal shot at getting some of everything on the plate.

Thanks bpatters, I will watch for any signs of agression, etc. So far, nothing like that. I don't usually shred the vegs but it is easier to hide the chopped/shredded vegs she doesn't eat (which are everything but carrots) in with them so she gets a little something else. I guess I could just shred part and leave the rest sliced. She is sooooo picky but I love her and want her to eat right.
Thanks again for the posts.

She weighs in at 2.5# and not knowing what a GP should weigh, is that high, low, average?????

My female weighs 2.25# and is 5 months old. She had a baby just over 3 weeks ago though so maybe there is still some "pregnancy weight" haha. I wasn't sure if she was pregnant (she was supposed to be a "he"), and ended up figuring it out FOR SURE by daily weigh-ins. Hopefully your vet is absolutely right and she isn't pregnant. If anyone would know, it would be a vet, right?! If you are interested, here is my weigh-in info so you can see how my pig's weight fluctuated when she was pregnant. Late into her pregnancy she didn't get weighed much because I didn't want to stress her out.

12/18 - 870g
12/19 - 874g
12/21 - 887g
12/22 - 927g
12/23 - 940g
12/25 - 939g
12/26 - 939g
12/27 - 966g
12/28 - 964g
12/30 - 990g
01/02 - 1003g
01/14 - 1132g
**Baby born 01/15**

Today's weight: 1025g

This is so hard for me. This morning about 11 my sister said "Auggie's talking to me" and she was making some grunting noises. When I heard it I knew it wasn't talking so I got her out of the cage to see if it was breathing or straining. It was straining so I called the Vet. Luckily he was back in town from vacation. I brought her in for them to observe her and within 15 minutes of me returning home I got a call. Yes she is PG and when I originally brought her in she must have just gotten PG. He thought she had two pups but without an ultrasound couldn't be sure. Since she is of unknown age and I didn't want to chance somthing happening to her we agreed that she needed a C-section and at the same time spay her. Well a couple of hours later I got a call, she had had one stillborn pup and had some cysts going on which is why we thought maybe two. They spayed her and she was just waking up and doing well. I am so sad, apparently the baby looks just like Auggie but then Mini is a tri color too so who knows whether the baby would have ended up looking like an Aby or a punk rocker Peruvian. I am really sad, but glad Auggie is okay. I got the cage all babyproofed and was ready to look for a good home for the lil one and think I had one lined up with one of the Tech's at the Vet's office from when we originally went in to check on the possibility of her being pregnant.

I am soul searching and wondering if there is something I could have done to prevent the stillborn? Did I not feed her correctly? Did I not give her enough Vit C? Did I pick her up too much? It was so hard not knowing if she was PG but having the feeling that she was. She didn't get really big, not near as big as the pictures I saw of other's piggies. She was still active and whistling and talking to me but stayed in her hidey more often. She ate pretty good but didn't have a huge appetite like I had read PG piggies had and she did drink more water than usual. She was eating lettuce, cilantro, parsley, spinach, carrots, green pepper and starting to eat cress, yellow pepper, zuchini and radichio. She had unlimited grass hay and Mazurri pellets. About a week ago I the store got some in stock so I started grinding up a vit C tablet and added to her pellets every other day. She of course had all the water she could and would drink, I even put two bottles in her side of the cage.

Well, now I have to keep looking ahead and be glad that she won't be able to get PG again and now she & Mini can be together and happy again. I know this sounds cold and uncaring, but I really am devastated that the baby died, but I have to power on and be thankful for Auggie's health.

My final question, is there anything special I need to do to help Auggie get thru this? She doesn't have a baby to mother, won't she be affected by that? What can I do to help her there?
I know I have to be hyper-vigilant about her getting an infection, but what about her mental state w/out the baby?

I edited the quote to take up less space
I am soul searching and wondering if there is something I could have done to prevent the stillborn? .......

Well, now I have to keep looking ahead and be glad that she won't be able to get PG again and now she & Mini can be together and happy again. I know this sounds cold and uncaring, but I really am devastated that the baby died, but I have to power on and be thankful for Auggie's health.

Don't beat yourself up over the still born - some times those things just happen.

You're not heartless, you're smart in thinking about the positive instead of dwelling on the negative! It'll probably be easier for her to get over the failed pregnancy with Mini than if she were alone, and she might not have realized that she was going to have a baby if this was her first and only pregnancy, (this is just speculation - I don't know for sure). I think her having a C section while she was sedated and being fixed immediately afterward was better than her having the pup and having it die a few days later or having it naturally and seeing it's stillborn when she cleaned it up. Don't beat yourself up over this, the happier you can be around both of your piggies, the happier they will be!

This is so hard for me. The morning of 3/30/12, about 11am my sister said "Auggie's talking to me" and she was making some grunting noises. When I heard it I knew it wasn't talking so I got her out of the cage to see if it was breathing or straining. It was straining so I called the Vet. Luckily he was back in town from vacation. I brought her in for them to observe her and within 15 minutes of me returning home I got a call. Yes she is PG and when I originally brought her in she must have just gotten PG. Since she is of unknown age and I didn't want to chance somthing happening to her we agreed that she needed a C-section and at the same time spay her. Well a couple of hours later I got a call, she had had one stillborn pup and had some cysts going on. They spayed her and she is home with me. The baby is a tri color just like Auggie and MiniMe. I am really sad, but glad Auggie is okay. I had gotten the cage all babyproofed and was ready to look for a good home for the lil one and think I had one lined up with one of the Tech's at the Vet's office.

I am soul searching and wondering if there is something I could have done to prevent the stillborn? Did I not feed her correctly? Did I not give her enough Vit C? Did I pick her up too much? It was so hard not knowing if she was PG but having the feeling that she was. She didn't get really big, not near as big as the pictures I saw of other's piggies. She was still active and whistling and talking to me but stayed in her hidey more often. She ate pretty good but didn't have a huge appetite like I had read PG piggies had and she did drink more water than usual. She was eating lettuce, cilantro, parsley, spinach, carrots, green pepper and starting to eat cress, yellow pepper, zuchini and radichio. She had unlimited grass hay and Mazurri pellets. About a week ago the store got some Vit C tablets in stock so I started grinding up a tablet and adding it to her pellets every other day. She of course had all the water she could and would drink, I even put two bottles in her side of the cage.

Is there anything special I need to be doing to help Auggie get thru this? She doesn't have a baby to mother and seems depressed by that. What can I do to help her there?
I know I have to be hyper-vigilant about her getting an infection, but what about her mental state w/out the baby?

We have been watching her closely, had to bring her back into the Vet 3/31 for a vitamin shot & got some meds to encourage her to eat. I told him she was peeing blood so he is aware of that but I don't know how long this will continue. I have been giving her water via syringe since I cannot be sure she has been drinking and today she had 17cc's. She ate a little lettuce yesterday and today, has hay and pellets available and a slurry of Critical Care (just what consistency should it be) and has been pooping and peeing. Her pee still has blood in it, what little she pees. She is moving around a little but spends most of her time in her fleeceforest

She's on Metacam once a day (4 syringes); Sulfamethoxazole twice daily for 5 days and Metociopramide twice daily until gone.

Please, help me help her get through this sad time.

The spaying was a good idea. What she's going through now is probably purely hormonal. If she has a maternal instinct, you'll see her tending to Mini. It doesn't matter whether they're babies or adults, motherly guinea pigs like to dote on guinea pigs of any age. My Curly Fry was an owner give up and they said that she had previous litters. They eventually neutered her mate and gave them both up when they were 5 and 7 years old. Her mate passed away the year after I got them, but Curly's still alive. She loves to take care of all of my other guinea pigs. I see her licking them, sharing a pigloo or just cuddling the others. Auggie will do the same. She'll be fine. As far as the stillborn birth, there are always risks in a guinea pig pregnancy. I wouldn't dwell on it.

Why did you repost almost the exact same thing? I merged your two threads about Auggie together.

Auggie should be in a very small area right now so she doesn't need to move around much. Are you actually feeding her the Critical Care with a syringe? Weigh her daily to make sure she's getting enough to eat. She should also be on painkillers.

Foggycreek, I am sorry that I reposted, but I did it because I was not getting any help with the original post. I was hoping the new thread would get someone's attention so I would get some help.
I have her in a 2x3 grid space, is that small enough or should it be smaller? I was not aware that I was supposed to feed her the critical care via syringe, the clinic told me she would eat it on her own. She is getting pain meds daily.
She ate 2 lettuce leaves and a few spinach leaves today and drank some water on her own so I think she is on the mend. Should I still be feeding her critical care via syringe or let her eat on her own. I will weigh her starting this evening when I give her her meds.
Any ideas about the bloody urine?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.