Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Please help me find this teddy bear

lissie

Cavy Slave
I've accidentally donated my daughter's favorite teddy bear to Goodwill. I've looked everywhere to find a bear that looks just like the one I've donated and could not find it anywhere. I've setup a Facebook page for it. Please pass it along to your friends.

Lost Teddy Bear - $100 Reward | Facebook

I've been feeling very guilty about the bear and I cannot forgive myself. I really want to find this bear. I haven't told my daughter that I've donated her bear. She knows it's been missing since the move and thought it's sitting somewhere in the garage.

I've also posted wanted ads on Craigslist and posted the pics on Goodwill Facebook page asking them to look for it. They said they would, but I haven't heard back from them.

I went to 5 Goodwill stores in the area and they don't have my bear. I've been searching on Google images and even alibaba.com (Chinese manufacturers) and cannot find any bear that looks like her. My daughter remembers all the details about her bear, the sweater (inside and out), the fur and everything. I cannot just replace her with another white bear.

The bear has white fluffy coat (feels like cotton towel) and wears a pink sweater with some hearts and stars on the sweater. I only have a shot of the star on the sweater but don't have a clear shot of the whole sweater.

The bear originally came from either Rite Aid or Walgreens 3 or 4 years ago. I gave her to my daughter on Valentine's day.

I am giving $100 reward to those who can help me find the same bear.

Last edited:

This bear is very special because she was the bear my daughter took to all her school special events, teddy bear parade, camp out, etc. I still can't believe I did not recognize her when I found her in the garage after we moved.

Some back story why she was in the garage. My daughter wanted to move the bear by herself and refused to put her into a moving box. She dropped her on dirty floor and I made her put the bear in the box and told her I would wash the bear after the move. I was too busy with unpacking things and I had forgotten about the bear. My daughter stopped asking me to wash her bear after several times that I told her I'm busy. I guess she forgot after that.

One day my husband and I were cleaning out the garage and he found the bear. He asked me if we should keep this bear. I took one look at her and said, "I don't remember her. Must not be important. Let's donate." I should have just told him to ask my daughter. Instead, I drove out with the bear and a bag of old clothes and left her at the Goodwill donation center.

I've never done this before. I usually ask my kids to choose the toys they want to donate. If the items are girls toys, I give them to a friend who has a younger daughter. I could have easily gotten the bear back if she was with my friend.

The next teddy bear parade day came and my daughter was searching all over the house looking for her bear. That was when I realized I'd made a big mistake. Since I'm the reason the bear was in the garage. It made me feel even worse.

Please please please find this bear!

I know this is out there, but it might be worth a shot:

Was there anything especially ugly or something that would stand out that you donated? If so, you might be able to call all of the Goodwill centers in the vicinity and inquire if they have that item. Maybe you will get lucky and find the store with that item (could be farther away than the stores you looked at?). If all of your donations went to that store you could check there for the bear, or even post a wanted poster on the store window in the hopes that whoever bought the bear shops there routinely.

Thats about as helpful as I can be from here, aside from spreading the word. I'll be keeping an eye out at stores. Best of luck!

Thanks! There was nothing that stands out. The bear went to Googwill with a bag of old clothes. I know the chances are slim for finding this bear. I'm planning to post flyers at Goodwill if they allow me.

I've emailed the Vermont Teddy Bear Company to see if they could possibly make you a replica. If not, they may be able to let you know where you could find one. I hope this works, I'm in the lookout for one myself. I'll let you know what they say.

I'm so sorry for you and your daughter. I really feel for you. I had a stuffed rabbit when I was a kid. It's in every photo my parents took of me. One day it went missing. I was about 3 or 4 and I still remember how upset I was. I eventually got over it and a few years after I got married, my mom told me it was in such bad shape, she threw it out and then really regretted doing it when she saw how much I missed it. I cried when she told me that. I wish she had never told me. I'd contact Walgreens and Rite Aid. When my son was about 3, he left his bear at an office we had a meeting at. We drove all the way back when we realized it. He's 20 and he still has that bear on a shelf in his closet. It's a cheap, generic stuffed bear he picked out from a large bin of identical bears that were for sale at a grocery store but he loved him.

Ooo ouch. I did something similar with my boy but I didn't replace it. I just told him I made a mistake and told him at least we have picture of said toy (I honestly don't remember it anymore and it was just a year ago). Things get broken, lost and stolen all the time. She will have to learn to deal with it. Tell her the truth and that you made a mistake (this will be a good example for her because what if she accidently flushed your wedding ring would you want to be running around looking for it and worrying about it for weeks?). Sadly chances are it got thrown away. Unless the stuffed animal had its original tag, brand new or is super unique they probably threw it because they get SO many stuffed animals its nuts. People arn't too willing to buy used stuffed animals and they take up a lot of valuable store space...

Offer to build a bear and spend that $100 on her new bear and create some new memories with it like going to a fancy restarant where they serve tea (or what ever your kid likes), take her in a rollercoaster with your daughter or a carosel...

O I JUST remembered what it was that I threw out it was my sons favorite board book that was getting pretty yucky. He was so ticked at me but there was nothing I could do. I bought him a new book to replace it. I too try to consult my children before I organize their toy collection.

Do you have any idea where the bear is from?

Oh dear! I hope you find the bear! If all else fails, this one sort of looks like her. I am not the seller, I just looked up white teddy bear on ebay and this sort of looks like the original.

(broken link removed)

Did anyone suggest you post a photo on craigslist? Since you bought it locally, chances are someone else bought one. There are probably identical bears sitting in a toy box somewhere.

I would call the local Goodwill and ask if they have any stuffed animals in back that haven't made it out yet. I've seen things for sale that I've donated to Goodwill weeks later so I know there's a bit of processing time involved. I think calling Rite Aid or Walgreens is another thing or checking their websites (which I'm sure you've already done). I'll keep an eye out to. I am always at Goodwill and the Salvation Army. Who knows, with Valentines Day coming, you might find one.

If you can remember when you bought it, you can contact the corporate offices of Rite Aid and Walgreens and explain the importance of it. Someone was in charge of purchasing and they might have some idea where they came from.

I've shared the link to this page of the forum with my G+ circle to see if anyone has ideas of where you can get another one.

Actually, this one seems to have exactly the same face as the original!

(broken link removed)

did it have a tag that maybe she can remember what was on it a company name or anything that might give you a clue.

did it have a tag that maybe she can remember what was on it a company name or anything that might give you a clue.<br>

Sorry hun I looked everywhere i could think of and searched everything and I couldnt find it. I hope you will be able to find it for you. Ive done the same thing before and it makes ya feel horrible but sometimes it just isnt possible to replace it exactly. maybe you could take her and let her pick out a new special teddy.

Thanks everyone. Sorry I haven't update this thread. We gave up our search for the bear. I confessed to my daughter on Friday 1/6/12 that I donated her bear. I was crying but she wasn't. She seemed sad but understanding. She hugged me and told me she forgave me. We agreed to go to Goodwill stores together to search for the bear. My husband and son went with us. We drove 45 miles to 8 stores to look for the bear and also brought some flyers with me. It took us the whole afternoon. Some stores won't let me post my flyers and told me it's Goodwill's policy not to allow 3rd party flyers.

At least we know we've tried everything we could.

I posted a message on Goodwill's Facebook page and they responded to me asking me to email them all the details. I wrote to them with all the details and got a response from Goodwill's Director of Operations. He was very nice and understanding. He told me since it's been months, the bear is most likely been baled and shipped overseas.

I'm glad he told me that. I was afraid that the bear might have been dump in the trash. I'd like to think that the bear has moved on and become a peace ambassador.

My daughter doesn't want a replacement bear. She told me she doesn't want one that look the same. She only wants one that "smells" and "feels" the same. I felt so bad. I asked her how can we accomplish that. She said we will take the bear to all the adventures the old bear has been to and we will take her to more adventures.

We've agreed to sew the new bear together. We will turn my daughter's old clothes into the bear's clothes. The adventure of the new bear starts here.

We bought a book, fabric and batting. The pattern is cut. I still have to cut the fabric then we'll start sewing.

Last edited:
awe your such a good mom :) and you have raised a very sweet daughter :)

Aww this is so sweet, it makes me want to cry! ❤️ I think your idea of making a new one together and taking it on new adventures is a wonderful idea! I hope you make many fond memories.

And maybe show us a pic of the finished bear! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.