Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Please help. I just dont know what to do!

deebrightside

Cavy Slave
Hi, I am new so I hope I am doing this correctly.

My 8 month old guinea pig had rattling in his chest when breathing. I took him to the vet and he was given baytril and the vet said he had a URI. He finished the course and showed slight improvement so she prescribed another course.

The rattling was still there, so he was then prescribed as having pneumonia and had two medications to take Flagyl and Septrim? He finished the course and the rattling had all but gone. Now it has returned. Im just so confused as he shows no other signs at all of illness. He eats LOADS, popcorns all the time, runs laps of the room. His eyes and nose are clear, he is always grooming himself and seems like a normal happy pig.

I have ordered yet more medication, so hopefully that will clear his rattling. I am worried though that URI and pneumonia are not the cause as he has no other symptoms?

He hates his cage mate, so they normally live in c&c cages side by side with a divide down the middle. But the vet said pneumonia was contagious so I've had to put them in separate rooms which I know is upsetting them more. The constantly call out for each other and try break out to get to each other. I just want to put them back living side by side, but Im scared that if it is indeed a URI he could pass it on?

Sorry this was mega long, just thought i should get it all out!! This has been going on since November, its driving me insane. If anyone could help id be so so so appreciative! Dee x

Thank you so much for replying, im at my wits end!

He is on newspapers which are covered by towels and then fleece on top. I've not changed the way I wash them, so I don't think it could be that? They have always been on the same type of bedding. I have also used the same hay the whole time I've had them, that I buy from a local pet store. I really hoped it would be something environmental, but I just cant see what it could be? They live in the main room of the house, the living room. They were in the bedroom, but when he finished the first course of baytril winter set in we moved them to the warmest room in the house. Do you know what kind of other things could be the problem stemming from his environment?

I just had a read of the link you sent, and will be looking further into that site - thank you so much for passing that on. I am terribly worried it is a heart issue, as medication would have fixed this by now :( he started his meds on 18th november....

Thanks for taking time to reply, we really do appreciate it x

I think the vet should do another xray, so see if something is going on with the lungs still. It may also show obvious heart problems, like an enlarged heart.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.