Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Plastic Water Bottles

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
We got into a small discussion over this in another thread, and I wanted some opinions from people who have thought about this: Are plastic water bottles ok, or should only glass ones be used? Are some plastic bottles ok and others not? When you look up guinea pig water bottles, some of them mention that they are bisphenol A (BPA) free and/or phthalate free, while others don't mention anything. Certainly some plastics are a no-no. For example, PVC almost always contains phthalates, which are estrogen mimics and can leech into the water. As a PhD student in chemistry, I have my own opinions about certain plastics used as water bottles both for me and my cavies, but I don't feel educated enough about how this pertains to cavies to make up my mind. What do yall think?

I remember when my son was first born and it was in the news about chemicals in bottles. The research I found said that there was elevated levels of the chemical(bpa I think, but I forget now?) in the urine, but there was no known side effects. Since then everything seems to advertise not having this or that, but it seems more like a "pro advertisement", just to make the product look better. It's not something I'm concerned about to be honest. I put weird metals under my armpit every morning that must be leeching into my skin for the bast 15 years, now that freaks me out!

HAHA. Yes and you will be getting Alzheimer's any day now! That's been the latest reports - Aluminum (usually aluminum(III) chloride hexahydrate) in anti-perspirant causes Alzheimers. I'm pretty sure the evidence is basically nonexistant though...

Great! I remember the first time I read the ingredients and saw aluminum blah blah. Every time I put some on I think I'm probably giving myself cancer in 30 years, but now I'll think Alzheimer's!

You could just go au natural, but you may have to take 5 showers a day! LOL

I don't think aluminum has been identified as the cause of Alzheimer's, and I'm close enough to the age of developing it that I try to keep up with any new research on it! :eek:hmy:

What they do know is that the plaques that are found in the brains of Alzheimer's patients have high levels of aluminum in them, but they don't know whether that's a cause of the plaques or the result of them being there. They're not even sure that the plaques are the problem -- they may be the result of the disease, also. There's hot and heavy research examining all sorts of possibilities -- I just hope they figure out something before my brain quits working!

I prefer plastic to glass because when I fill my bottles, I squeeze them slightly to form a vacuum. When I flip the bottle over, I squeeze a tiny bit of water out to make sure the water comes out. It seems to keep my bottles from leaking and I couldn't do that with a glass bottle. I've only had a couple of glass bottles but prefer plastic. My oldest guinea pig is more than 9 years old now and all of mine are healthy so I'm not concerned about health risks.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
The leeching of plastic is a concern if you heat food or liquids in plastic containers. The bisphenol was a concern because many people would microwave formula while it was in the plastic bottle or put the bottle in bottle warmers. Unless you wash your watter bottle in the diswasher (which you shouldn't need to), I don't believe there's a risk of leeching.

So heat plus plastic is bad. Plastic without heat - good. BTW, with that philosophy in mind, people who still drink from plastic bottles, please don't leave them in your car and drink from them afterwards. Same goes for people who have water delivered to them in those big plastic containers that are left out on porches. Just my two cents.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.