Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Plastic plumbing pipe

lmg99

Cavy Slave
For our piggy, we used a plastic elbow plumbing pipe, new. My husband is a plumber so it was easy to come by. When our piggy does his cage laps, that is part of the course. And, when he tries to hide in there when my daughter tries to get him out, we just cover both ends with our hands and lift the whole thing out.

Good idea. For anyone else thinking about it, just make sure the pipes are generously sized so there is no chance of a pig getting stuck - this is especially important if your guinea pigs are still growing!

Treen said:
Good idea. For anyone else thinking about it, just make sure the pipes are generously sized so there is no chance of a pig getting stuck - this is especially important if your guinea pigs are still growing!
You're right, the size of the pipe we are using is 14 1/2 inches and about 10 inches in length so he can fit in it quite well, and when he's stretched out you can see head and bottom.

My pigs LOVE their PVC pipe! We need to get a few more for floor time.

My pigs don't really like the pipes. They put their heads in, give a little sniff and then go away. I sometimes put the food bowl directly after the pipe, but they still go around it and not in it!

mine is four inches in diameter. is this big enough????????????

It wouldn't be for mine! I always go for the 6" width options so they have ample room, and think when there's a bend the surplus width is even more important. But if you have small pigs (and there's a great variety in the size of guinea pigs when full grown) then 4" may be wide enough, but if in doubt, get a bigger size to be sure.

Well, it really depends on the size of your pigs. Can they go through the pipe comfortably. If not, get a bigger size

well, theyll be coming home at 5 weeks old. im sure they can fit at this age. maybe ill upgrade to a bigger size as they get older.

I tried PVC pipe for one of my texels and he couldn't get through because he had so much hair lol. Don't worry he could only get his head (which came out easily) in so I just took the PVC out.

well, maybe it will work well for my americans

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.