Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Planning to Make Cuddle Cups: A Few Questions

arionat799

Cavy Slave
So on March 2nd, my friend and I (feebee199 and I lol) will be making cuddle cups for our piggies together. (Her mom is going to help us with the sewing parts) However, I have a few questions about them:

1.) I have pattern fleece (not solid) so should I just do one solid color for the inside and out? (I don't want the patterns to clash)

2.) What kind of batting should I buy? Where do you get it? The video I watched reccomends Soft & Bright but it isn't available @ Joann's anymore. What other kind is good?

3.) So when the piggies pee on the fleece (on the inside of the cuddle cup) it wicks to the batting? The batting soaks it up and doesn't get moldy???

4.) How much of the fabric(s) should I buy? (By yards I'm guessing)

And 5.) How big should the enterance "dip" be made? Where do you cut that at? That part is kinda confusing..

Also, feebee199 has 2 unintroduced piggies right now. Should she make 2 seperate cozies for them? Or will they snuggle up in 1? Thanks for the help! :)

P.S. Will also have some cozy sack questions coming up. :)

1.) I have pattern fleece (not solid) so should I just do one solid color for the inside and out? (I don't want the patterns to clash)
It depends on what you want. I would highly suggest picking a solid color that matches one of the colors in the pattern fleece. Its more personal preferences.

2.) What kind of batting should I buy? Where do you get it? The video I watched reccomends Soft & Bright but it isn't available @ Joann's anymore. What other kind is good?
In Canada we don't have a Joann's anyway. I buy Extra Thick batting but I know in the USA they might have levels of thickness, I'm sure someone else can be more helpful with that. IMO the thicker the nicer it holds it shape.

3.) So when the piggies pee on the fleece (on the inside of the cuddle cup) it wicks to the batting? The batting soaks it up and doesn't get moldy???
I have never had mold happen. I wash my ever two days though. You can make pads to go into the cups to make them last longer in between washes.

4.) How much of the fabric(s) should I buy? (By yards I'm guessing)
It depends on how many you want to make. Personally if you can afford it, buy 1 yard in each fleece (pattern and solid) any extra you have can be used to make other things or even piggie forest (hanging fleece from an above grid)

And 5.) How big should the enterance "dip" be made? Where do you cut that at? That part is kinda confusing..
Personally I eye ball it, some times I make it bigger sometimes smaller. As for where... umm I'm really no help. I don't cut it before I sew but during, this way I don't have issues of something not matching up just right.

Also, feebee199 has 2 unintroduced piggies right now. Should she make 2 seperate cozies for them? Or will they snuggle up in 1? Thanks for the help! :)

More is better IMO, this will stop possible fights over who gets it.

1.) Okay, so it wouldn't look bad to do one solid color and the same for both the inside and out? Or do you think that would be to confusing when making the cuddle cup?

2.) Sorry what does IMO mean? lol

3.) As far as sewing and such, how do you do that? (Making the removable pads)

4.) I am only making one.

5.) I guess I'll just do it the way the video shows it.

6.) That is smart, okay.

(broken link removed)

Is this ok? For a cuddle cup and a cozy sack?

If I'm making both a cuddle cup and a cozy sack how many yards do i need of fleece (inside and out) and batting?

1.) Okay, so it wouldn't look bad to do one solid color and the same for both the inside and out? Or do you think that would be to confusing when making the cuddle cup?

2.) Sorry what does IMO mean? lol

3.) As far as sewing and such, how do you do that? (Making the removable pads)

4.) I am only making one.

5.) I guess I'll just do it the way the video shows it.

6.) That is smart, okay.

1. No not at all, its personally whatever you like. Thats they joy of making them.
2. Sorry... IMO=In My Opinion
3. Basically just cut 2 extra fleece circles and one extra circle out of the batting. Sew it so its batting, fleece, fleece and leave a 1" or so opening (so don't close it) and turn it inside out so that the fleece is only showing and sew the hole closed (does that make sense?)
5. Yes I'm sure someone else can add some better help. I'm bad at giving directions and worse at it when its something I do so often that I now just eye ball it.
6. Yes it is, I always make one of everything for all 4 of my pigs.

(broken link removed)(broken link removed)&(broken link removed)W : batting : fabric : Shop | Joann.com

Is this ok? For a cuddle cup and a cozy sack?

If I'm making both a cuddle cup and a cozy sack how many yards do i need of fleece (inside and out) and batting?

I really have no idea about that batting, like I said there is no weight or anything else when buying it in Canada (or so I have yet to find any). I'm sure someone else can chime in on if its ok or not.

I would go 1 yard or even 1.5 of everything (each fleece and the batting). Extras are always fun to play with after.

So for the cozy sack do i need 1 yard of everything as well? (Same thing, inside fleece, outside fleece, and batting)

Does anybody know if that batting is okay to use? What batting do you use from Joann's? Also if someone could answer my above question that'd be great :)

So for the cozy sack do i need 1 yard of everything as well? (Same thing, inside fleece, outside fleece, and batting)

This depends on how many your making, If its one of each (sack and cup) 1.5 yards should be enough. If you want to have more then one, up the size from there.

Would only one be okay? (for one)

Really its up to you, pigs don't NEED bed like this. They Need good bedding, clean cages, good food and so on. Beds and sacks are an add plus, mine have about 15 beds, sacks, and other bedding and I only have 4 pigs ;) So its really up to you. But If you go with one cup and one bed 1.5 yards is way more then enough. You might be able to make more cups or sacks out of it ;) I know for me I can make 2 cups and a sack out of that.

So when u say 1.5 yds you mean 1.5 yards of everything? (1.5 yards of inside fleece, 1.5 yards of outside fleece, 1.5 yards of batting) Is 1 yard enough?

Also, will someone PLEASE answer my question about the batting?! CavyComforts, I know you can't being in Canada and all, so thanks for all of your help. But can anyone please??

One more question to add: Could you use a Uhaul pad instead of batting? I would think that would hold the pee better. Or whatever it does w/ it lol. Or would that be uncomfortable?

I do believe Guinea Pig Fun posted about that on their Facebook Fan Page. I believe she used it with batting, but I am not sure.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.