Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Pine Bedding

guineapig5

Cavy Slave
Is Pine Bedding in the cage alright? I own a chicken coop, and we use Pine for them, so I was wondering if that was okay for guinea pigs. Thank-you in advance! :blush:

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Only kiln-dried pine is safe.

guineapig5

Cavy Slave
Alright, is there a different kind of bedding that is 100%, all types of it safe? Cedar, right?

Dawg31

Cavy Slave
No Cedar. Most pine shavings are kiln dried. Most shavings are produced by moulding manufacturers repackaged and shipped out. Its all about reducing waste. The reason why most pine is kiln dried is naturally drying it causes major splits twists and warps and makes it unsuitable for anything. The rest is either pressure treated (which is poisonous but you never see shavings being sold of it) or used solely for pulp.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Cedar is NEVER safe. Aspen is safe. CareFresh is also safe, but it's not shavings - it's recycled pulp fiber. Fleece is my favorite and is safe.

EDIT:
Most pine shavings are kiln dried.
Not true, some pine is air-dried.

guineapig5

Cavy Slave
Fleece is like a fabric, right? What if the pigs were to ruin it, is it expensive, or reusable?

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Fleece is a material made out of polyester. You can buy it at fabric stores, though you may be able to get fleece blankets at stores like Target, Wal-Mart, etc...

It might be more expensive at first, but in the long run it saves you money because you don't have to keep buying bedding. Yes, it is reusable.

You have an absorbent layer on the base of the coroplast, underneath the fleece, be it puppy pads, towels, a mattress protector, a combination of these - this will soak up the urine. You want your fleece to wick through to the absorbent layer, so you have to wash and dry 3-4 times without any fabric softener to allow it to wick through. You lay down your fleece (a lot of pigs like to burrow in their fleece, including two of mine, so you may want to binder clip it to the coroplast or tuck in under). You can simply spot clean once-twice a day, and throw the fleece in the washer/dry once-twice a week, and wash/change the absorbent layer at that time.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html

I love fleece myself, it's soft, easy to manage, bedding doesn't fly everywhere, and the piggies absolutely *adore* lying on it because it's so soft.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I get mine at Joann and its usually on sale for 50% off so its like $5 a yard. It is reusable. I just put mine in the wash with some laundry soap and vinegar. Before you use it you need to wash it 3 times without fabric softener so it will whick pee. You will also need something absorbent under it like towels.

guineapig5

Cavy Slave
I get mine at Joann and its usually on sale for 50% off so its like $5 a yard. It is reusable. I just put mine in the wash with some laundry soap and vinegar. Before you use it you need to wash it 3 times without fabric softener so it will whick pee. You will also need something absorbent under it like towels.
Thanks!
Fleece is a material made out of polyester. You can buy it at fabric stores, though you may be able to get fleece blankets at stores like Target, Wal-Mart, etc...

It might be more expensive at first, but in the long run it saves you money because you don't have to keep buying bedding. Yes, it is reusable.

You have an absorbent layer on the base of the coroplast, underneath the fleece, be it puppy pads, towels, a mattress protector, a combination of these - this will soak up the urine. You want your fleece to wick through to the absorbent layer, so you have to wash and dry 3-4 times without any fabric softener to allow it to wick through. You lay down your fleece (a lot of pigs like to burrow in their fleece, including two of mine, so you may want to binder clip it to the coroplast or tuck in under). You can simply spot clean once-twice a day, and throw the fleece in the washer/dry once-twice a week, and wash/change the absorbent layer at that time.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html

I love fleece myself, it's soft, easy to manage, bedding doesn't fly everywhere, and the piggies absolutely *adore* lying on it because it's so soft.

Alright, but if you set up the whole cage, you'll just have to take the fleece out again in a few days to wash it? :?:

mtm88781

Cavy Slave
NEVER! Cedar in all forms is NEVER safe. Pine is safe, ONLY if it is kiln-dried. Carefresh, aspen, fleece, Yesterdays News, and others are safe in ALL FORMS.

NEVER CEDAR OR REGULAR PINE !!!

guineapig5

Cavy Slave
Thanks, mtm. :) I'm going to do a little search on fleece. Can you buy materials like that at Petsmart?

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
No, you cannot. I would also avoid PetSmart/PetCo/any store that sells animals for any supplies if you can - PetSmart Cruelty

In a week or so, yes, you will just have to wash it - it's really easy though, I just slide my coroplast out, take it off, throw it in the wash, dry it, and put it back on and slide the coroplast back in.

guineapig5

Cavy Slave
What's so bad about PetSmart.. why's it cruel? And, alright, that makes it sound much easier. :)

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
What's so bad about PetSmart.. why's it cruel? And, alright, that makes it sound much easier. :)

If you clicked on the link you would see they sell animals from breeding mills or backyard breeders. Animals are kept in horrible conditions.

guineapig5

Cavy Slave
If you clicked on the link you would see they sell animals from breeding mills or backyard breeders. Animals are kept in horrible conditions.
I see, but if you're adopting the Guinea Pig, it's a good thing because you'd be saving it from those horrible conditions. :love:

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
But you don't adopt when you buy from PetSmart/PetCo. You buy the animal like merchandise. Then, the Guinea Pig you bought gets replaced with at least two more, and the sow has to be bred even more. The only way to try and get these horrible conditions stopped is not to buy any animals from PetSmart/PetCo or a place similar, and even preferably not to shop there at all until they stop selling these animals.

guineapig5

Cavy Slave
But you don't adopt when you buy from PetSmart/PetCo. You buy the animal like merchandise. Then, the Guinea Pig you bought gets replaced with at least two more, and the sow has to be bred even more. The only way to try and get these horrible conditions stopped is not to buy any animals from PetSmart/PetCo or a place similar, and even preferably not to shop there at all until they stop selling these animals.
Ahhh, I understand you now. It is like buying merchandise, not adopting a pet that needs an owner to take care and love it. :cheerful:

Noah34568

Cavy Slave
No Ceder even if it is kiln-dried. no pine too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.