Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Pikachu, the guinea pig we were going to adopt

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Well, so this is what happened with Pikachu. (Just have to vent a little) After they called our vet, to make sure we took good care of our pets, and they found out about how we rescued Sushi(A lost cat) and Jack (A cat that had been used as target practice) They let us come in to see her, and she was the sweetest thing I have ever seen, and I completely feel in love with her. We told the woman about our other guinea pigs, how we take great care of them, and how they have a big cage. She was amazed with how well we took care of them, and said that we where 100% approved, and that they would bring her over this week. After a few days of no contact, we got an email reading this: "Unfortunately, we don't feel we can move forward with the adoption. "Raising" Guinea Pigs isn't something we look favorably on. There are so many homeless companion animals in shelters, no one should consider ever breeding more. And you did use the word "raising." I'm sorry."

Funny thing is...we have never breed guinea pigs, will never breed guinea pigs, and frown upon breeding guinea pigs. We may have used the word "raising" but that has nothing at all to do with breeding guinea pigs. That only means that we want to take great care of them for there whole lives. Just like how people say they are raising a baby. We did get Godric (Girl) And Phoenix (Girl) From a breeder, however that was only because there were no places around us that had guinea pigs at that time, and we were sorta "Adopting" them from the breeder, because Phoenix had gotten too big to care for, and Godric came with her because they were cage mates. We don't even have a male guinea pig, or a place to put a male guinea pig if we wanted to breed (Which again...We don't) I've no idea where they got the image that we breed from...But there were a lot of people who had wanted her also, so I'm thinking that after they said to us "You can have her, we will bring her over this week!" Someone else decided to take her... Sorry, I just needed to vent a little, as I was really attached to her, and was very excited to bring her home, her cage was even set up and everything.

I'm sorry that happened to you! Have you thought about writing to them again and explain your view of raising piggies? I hate that the little girl won't have a good home due to a silly misunderstanding on their part.

I'm sorry that happened to you! Have you thought about writing to them again and explain your view of raising piggies? I hate that the little girl won't have a good home due to a silly misunderstanding on their part.
Yep we have, and they have yet to respond. I would not be surprised if they don't though. From what I have seen of there rescue... It's not the best. A lot of my friends have even tried to give loving happy homes to some dogs there, but they were denied because they don't have a fenced in yard. o_O Most of the animals there just live there whole lives in small cages, because they rarely adopt any, due to there very strict adopt policy.

Sounds like they may be animal hoarders, but tell themselves they are a rescue but nobody can ever be good enough for their animals. They make people jump through hoops until they find something they can use to deny them. Sorry that little girl has to be put through that.

Sounds like they may be animal hoarders, but tell themselves they are a rescue but nobody can ever be good enough for their animals. They make people jump through hoops until they find something they can use to deny them. Sorry that little girl has to be put through that.
Yeah, that sounds about right from what I've seen. It's sad though that they have so many people donating to them, and helping out with there "Rescue" They even have a vet that works just for the rescue. Yeah, I'm hoping that they may chose to still let us have her... but the chances are very slim. She didn't look like she was in good care either. The bedding they had was some type of aspen or ceder by the looks of it. She was in a very small cage, with no hay in sight, only colorful pellets and some yogurt treats. And that's the same for the bunnies that were there. The cages were fancy, but were only about as big as a one by three grid cage. It made me sad, thinking that those animals may be stuck there forever, never to know the love of a real home. I just wanted to pick them all up and run home...But I really can't take good care of my animals if I'm in jail. xD

Sounds to me like that rescuer is splitting hairs. Raising in no way implies breeding, it just implies taking care of young animals as they grow to maturity. This sort of situation is what Emily Yoffe was referring to in her article about rescuers who are too picky about the people who apply to adopt (there was a News Feed about it a couple of weeks ago).

I'd call the woman back and ask why she thinks you were breeding.

Sounds to me like that rescuer is splitting hairs. Raising in no way implies breeding, it just implies taking care of young animals as they grow to maturity. This sort of situation is what Emily Yoffe was referring to in her article about rescuers who are too picky about the people who apply to adopt (there was a News Feed about it a couple of weeks ago).

I'd call the woman back and ask why she thinks you were breeding.

We emailed them back since they emailed us. Do you by chance have a link to that article? I'd love to read it :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.