Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigs nibbling on me....

Michellec

Cavy Slave
I have two pretty girl pigs, 4 months old, very sweet and like to cuddle. One also likes to nibble me a bit, knuckles and fingers. She has never snapped at me in anger or fear, but does more of an exploratory nibble, even sometimes to the point of a chew (which sometimes hurts). Is this okay or should I not allow it?

What do you think?

Thanks!

Michelle

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My girls all nibble or lick on me all the time. I just keep telling them my fingers aren't carrots and they pretty much stop nibbling but continue to lick. If it really bothers you, maybe you could try to get them to stop.

Michellec

Cavy Slave
Nope, deosnt' bug me. I just wanted to know if I was encouraging bad behavior but allowing her to nibble.

Thanks!

M

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
If they start breaking skin, you could show them the tight skin on your palm and when they try to bite it, they may understand that since your skin is tight it isn't meant to be groomed. Or, you could spray bitter apple spray(organic animal biting spray, used to deter animals from biting) on your fingers, and when they bite it, it tastes bad.

Michellec

Cavy Slave
I did read somewhere that it was a grooming thing...do they nibble themselves like that?

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Yes, they often nibble gently on each other to remove extra hairs, scratch itches, etc. It's a perfectly normal disease, but seeing as we don't have fur, it can sometimes break our skin.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It's a perfectly normal disease

What do you mean disease. It's not a disease. I think mine like to nibble on me because they are telling me they love me. I often get piggie kisses where they nibble on my lower lip and that sure isn't a disease.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I'm a bit preoccupied right now. I meant behavior... lol.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.