Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigs at a Garage Sale

fadedcoat

Cavy Slave
I stopped at a garage sale on my way home for lunch and saw a guinea pig cage. I thought I could use one so I went for a closer look and it had 3 male guinea pigs in it for $10 each. They seemed young, because they were smaller than my 2 boys. I got the impression by talking with the lady that they had their female pig bred. I suspected one of those "let's experience the miracle of birth" people.

I was particularly fond of one who had that peppery light/dark brown hair, abyssinian rosettes, and a large orange and white patch on one eye. It was the lady's favorite one.

I was tempted to buy him, but I only have a 2x4 cage and my two boys use all the space. And again, these people are selling pets at a garage sale! The boys looked healthy enough, and seem young enough to socialize yet. What should I do? Should I have 3 boys? And do guinea pigs really use a second level on a cage?

Can you go back to them and give them some kind of guinea pig care leaflet from here or GuineaLynx? If they're resistant to it, you could tell them "This is for the people who buy the pigs."

I doubt 3 boars in a 2x4 will work out. Can you make it larger?

Oh, I would definitely have to make the cage bigger if I got the little guy. I think the wall I have the cage on is long enough to add another panel on to make a 2x5. Otherwise I was thinking of a second level, but my guys seem to like to run laps so they would appreciate a 2x5.

But my question is mostly - should I get a third piggy? He did catch my interest. My 2 boys are about a year old now, and I'm guessing the garage sale ones are 2 months.

Don't buy him. If you can get him for free, fair enough. But if you give them $10 for one, they're going to think it's a great money making venture and do it over and over again. Don't be the person to encourage this sort of behaviour.

Even if you don't decide to buy him since you would be encouraging the woman to breed the sow again, I would still go back like Salana said and give them a pamphlet from GL. Then I would haggle her to give him to me for free.

I gave it some thought and decided to keep my pet count at what it is. I'm happy with the two boys I have, and they get along well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.