Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigs and rats???

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
My Renee is expecting piglets in the next couple of weeks, and we are looking for good homes for the babies when they are weaned. A friend has an indoor rat which is lonely, and has wondered if a young piglet would be a suitable cage-mate. I have never heard of these two species co-habiting, does anyone have any advice? I don't want my baby to be eaten!

Teria

Cavy Slave
I would NOT do it. Same as with rabbits - they are totally different species and don't understand each other. Besides, rats have a very different diet than guinea pigs. GPs eat only vegetables, greens and so on while rats can eat meat, too. Your friend would be better off getting another rat, and your little piglet would be MUCH happier with other guinea pigs!

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
I don't have an answer but you could look on Guinea Lynx (sorry but I don't have the URL, just Google it) or I could ask a this friend I have who knows a lot about guinea pigs, then report the answer to you.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
No way, its good that you asked. Please adopt out your guinea pigs in same sex pairs.

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
But I think everyone else is right-- you shouldn't house them together

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
Rats are predatory. Guinea pigs are prey animals. VERY bad idea to house them together.

Guinea pigs need to be housed only with other guinea pigs.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Rats live in very different cages(they like more levels, places to climb, etc. while pigs prefer room to run) and rats are predators, there is a very high chance it would attack the pig. I would suggest telling your friend to adopt another rat. Often times the species misinterpret each other also. It's just not a good idea. Rats are delightful creatures by themself in pairs(that's a bit of a contradictory statement, but you know what I mean) but with other species it just isn't good.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
Thanks ever so much, everyone, for all the quick responses - I will pass the message on that she should get another rat if she needs company for her current rat, and I will find another prospective owner!
Out of interest, our two pigs live with a Netherland dwarf bunny, who is quite undersized and has many medical problems. (She was a rescue rabbit) The pigs look after the bun, grooming her when she can't do it herself, cleaning her backside when she's been "unwell", cuddling up to her at night, and insisting on coming with her on every visit to the vet - they squeak if I take their rabbit away. I suspect we have been quite lucky with the personalities of our animals, from some of the other postings...

Access

Cavy Slave
It is best to segregate by species. It is very rare for these two species to get along together, and this only happens if they are raised together from birth. Even if you put them together and they seem fine while you are watching them, it is only a matter of time before the animal instincts kick in and one of them ends up getting hurt.

silkerlover

Cavy Slave
pigs and rats? not a good idea

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
weaseldropping said:
Out of interest, our two pigs live with a Netherland dwarf bunny, who is quite undersized and has many medical problems. (She was a rescue rabbit) The pigs look after the bun, grooming her when she can't do it herself, cleaning her backside when she's been "unwell", cuddling up to her at night, and insisting on coming with her on every visit to the vet - they squeak if I take their rabbit away. I suspect we have been quite lucky with the personalities of our animals, from some of the other postings...
You should separate the G.P.s from the rabbit. Rabbits and G.P.s have different dietary needs and housing them together with unbalance their diets. Your rabbit, even though small, has very strong back legs, sharp claws and is more active then the G.P.s. The rabbit can accidentally harm, even kill, your G.P.s. Rabbits also carry diseases that can be fatal to a G.P. It is especially bad if the pigs are "cleaning her backside when she's been "unwell"". They are ingesting her illness, pathogens, bacteria and other unhealthy stuff found in the rabbit’s fecal matter. Please check out the following link. https://www.guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm

You mention 2 Guinea Pigs...and one is pregnant. Do you have a male and female? If you do you should separate them before the female has the babies or she can get pregnant again immediately after the birth...very unhealthy for your pet. Please read the following link on breeding if you have bred your guinea pigs. https://cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
voodoojoint said:
You should separate the G.P.s from the rabbit.
As I recall, the last time this forum gave someone this very same advice, the rabbit in question died as a result.

Katie

Cavy Slave
Krysanthemum said:
As I recall, the last time this forum gave someone this very same advice, the rabbit in question died as a result.
Will you please post the link? I highly doubt the rabbit died from the guinea pig being removed. They shouldn't be kept together, period. The rabbit probably died from a lack of nutrients in it's diet, or even natural causes. If it died because it was lonely, it makes me wonder if the owner even paid attention to it.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Krysanthemum said:
I am very well aware that a rabbit died after being separated from G.P.s. However it died from pasturella (or so the owner said)...the very same disease that can kill Guinea Pigs in contact with rabbits.

I would appreciate it if you would quit trying to undermine good advice and pick fights Krysanthemum. I stated my concerns in a nice manner and provided links for them to read. I recommend you read the "rabbits and Guinea Pigs" link as well. It is proven that rabbits and G.P.s do not make good cage mates. It was not proven that the rabbit in question died from any cause other then a disease it already had.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I suggest you get your facts straight Krysanthemum

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
Piglet said:
I suggest you get your facts straight Krysanthemum
Whoa, everyone, calm down. I posted a simple observation based on memory. I made no judgement on the advice being given, just noticing that it can have results other than those intended. Piglet, was I incorrect, did the rabbit not in fact die?

voodoojoint said:
I would appreciate it if you would quit trying to undermine good advice and pick fights Krysanthemum.
Again, I did nothing of the sort, I made an observation. I was not trying to pick a fight, because if I was, I would have said something along the lines of, "You guys are morons, you killed someone else's rabbit last time, shut the fudge up." But I didn't, because that would be a ridiculous thing to do. And I don't appreciate being jumped on for making a simple observation. Good grief.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Krysanthemum said:
I made no judgement on the advice being given, just noticing that it can have results other than those intended. .... was I incorrect, did the rabbit not in fact die?
I really don’t want to debate BUT...

You did make a judgement on the advice. You said "As I recall, the last time this forum gave someone this very same advice, the rabbit in question died as a result"

"As a result" meaning (basically)..."Because the rabbit was separated from the guinea pigs it died".

This is a thoroughly wrong observation on your part. The rabbit dying had no direct connection with the guinea pigs. I suggest you read the entire thread. Including post #139 where it is stated that an incompetent Vet said there was nothing wrong with the rabbit (8 hours later it was dead). Don’t miss post #3 where she states that the rabbits sometimes go to an outdoor hutch...she would have separated them at some time anyway. Good advice can’t be blamed. The rabbit was already sick. It died as a result of Pasturella, not because it was separated from Guinea Pigs.

Since you think so little of the advice given do you think that the other rabbit this person owns (which is almost certainly carrying pasturella also) should be reintroduced to the Guinea Pigs? If it dies without being reintroduced is the advice still to blame? If it is reintroduced and dies then who is to blame? If the Guinea Pigs die from pasturella where does that blame lie?

Oh yeah, please don’t miss post #147. I’m not the only one who believes you like to "stir up the pot".

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
voodoojoint said:
You did make a judgement on the advice. You said "As I recall, the last time this forum gave someone this very same advice, the rabbit in question died as a result"

I also started the observation with "As I recall". I wasn't claiming absolute authority on the matter, I was recalling something I read from a previous post from memory, which I thought I was making clear. My memory is that the owner of the rabbit in question originally attributed the death to loneliness from the move. If there was further discussion, I apologise, I missed it.

voodoojoint said:
Since you think so little of the advice given do you think that the other rabbit this person owns (which is almost certainly carrying pasturella also) should be reintroduced to the Guinea Pigs? If it dies without being reintroduced is the advice still to blame? If it is reintroduced and dies then who is to blame? If the Guinea Pigs die from pasturella where does that blame lie?
Firstly, I made no comment about what I thought about the advice given in this thread, just that similar advice had (from my memory) gone wrong in the past. So please stop putting words into my mouth.

Secondly, I said none of those things about rabbits and cavies together, and I'm not interested in attributing blame.

Look, it's fairly obviously that you don't like my contributions to this forum, but I'm not really concerned about that. Every now and then I read these forums, and occasionally see something I disagree with, so I comment on it. Eveyrone else on this forum has the same right and makes use of that right. I'm not a troll, I'm not stirring people up intentionally, I have a serious interest in guinea pigs. I just think that occasionally things get blown out of proportion.

Seriously, think about it. I made one simple observation, a sentence. The reaction was long and loud, but that was not my intention. On the other hand, I've had three forumers post long and (in my opinion) fairly insulting posts to my observation. Who is trying to rile up who here?

voodoojoint said:
Oh yeah, please don’t miss post #147. I’m not the only one who believes you like to "stir up the pot".
Congratulations, you're not alone in your opinions. Nor am I alone in the opinion that things get blown out of proportion on this forum. Does that make either one of us right?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.