Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigs and Rabbits

Daqtanian

Cavy Slave
Hi I'm new and I have a question.
I'm sorry if its been asked before, I used search but couldn't find any similar messages.

Here goes:

I have 3 piggies (female, approx 9 Months old, Rex). They live in a hutch in the garden, but I bring them in each evening to run around on the floor in my hallway. The area is pig safe and they love running around.

Here's where things get complex; Earlier this week I aquired a rabbit (Male approx 5 yrs old, very friendly) from a friend of a friend. She had changed jobs and couldn't look after the rabbit anymore. To cut a long story short, if I couldn't look after the rabbit, then he was going to have to be put to sleep. :(

The rabbit now also lives in the garden (in a separate hutch to the pigs) and he loves to come in and run around on the floor too.

At the moment I let the piggies run around, then when I put them to bed, the rabbit gets to run around too. However, this means that they now only get half the running around time each, which isn't ideal.

The problem is, I'm not sure about letting them run around the floor at the same time. I can't really divide the space in two and give them half each, so I need some advise about letting them play together.

Has anyone else tried to let pigs and rabbits play together?
How did you introduce them to each other?

I'm never going to try and house them together, they will always live in thier own hutches.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Daqtanian

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
I have heard, though I would get a second source, that as long as they are supervised, you can let them run about together. There's actually a whole page on rabbits and guinea pigs here: https://guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Is there another room that the pigs or the rabbit could run around in? like the kitchen or a bedroom? I would not even attempt to put them together unless the rabbit is neutered, and even then some rabbits won't tolerate guinea pigs.
I hope your rabbit has some sort of resting board if the hutch has a wire bottom.

Starbucks

Cavy Slave
i wouldnt put them together at all. all it takes to fatally injure the piggies is one kick from the rabbits hind legs. even if the rabbit is very sweet, you never know how he will react to the piggies until it is to late.

for me it wouldnt even be an option. can you let the rabbit run around in a bathroom or something? or another room?

Daqtanian

Cavy Slave
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advise.
I think I will keep them apart as you all suggest.

Bunnyluv17 - The dutch has a wooden bottom, so no problems with wire floor.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I usually let them all out for play time. My Princess Fluffy would follow my bunnies around thinking that they are another piggie. Its so cute.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.