Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigloo Problem

T

tggdan3b

Pigloo Problem

I have 7 girls in one cage. They all get along fine. I have 2 ends of the cage covered to provide a kind of hiding space, and i have an aquarium on its side as another hiding place.

The thing is, if i put a pigloo into their cage they girls will fight over it. Everyone wants to go inside, and kick everyone else out.

So the question is, does this mean that the hiding places they already have aren't good enough? They never used to fight over the pigloo before, but while one girl was pregnant she spent most of her pregnancy inside the pigloo, and now she doesn't want to share it. Is that why they're fighting? Will they eventually learn to live with it in their cage, or should I not give it to them?

-Dan III

M

miss g pig

Re: Pigloo Problem

why don't you just get more pigloos one for a pair or something??

T

TheMeggyNessOIA

My Guineas alwas try to eat my Pigloo!!

Marlania

Cavy Slave

At least your pigloo stays in one place. I could superglue mine down, and they'd still find a way to flip it or turn it the wrong way.

I would also suggest getting more pigloos, but of course, even if you have more, they'll still want to crowd together.

Loveheart

Cavy Slave

my guinea pig is so shy she stays in her pigloo and pushes it around to get where she wants, shes like a turtle now

NoVeil

Cavy Slave

I would put in more pigloos. You can take large mixing bowls, cut a door and invert them for an inexpensive pigloo. I paid under $1 for bowls. They work great.

Starbucks

Cavy Slave

mine do that as well. you should get more pigloos for the pigs. mine have no problems now that they all have their own.

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave

My Cujo can barely fit through the opening of his pigloo anymore and there isn't enough room inside for him. I just use a cardboard box with doorways cut out for him.

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave

Maybe you should provide each guinea pig its own hidding place.

Adidas N Cavies

Cavy Slave

Since the femal has already had a felling of dominancy over the rest of them you are going to have to buy more pigloos. In poland i had a original piggy and i added another one later, They fought and fought over the house. Then i bought a second house and they lived happily.m Somtomes thy slept in the same pigloo!

Louis
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Treen

Cavy Slave

Mine always squabble over hiding places - even if I put three exactly the same in, they'll decide one's better than the others and try and turf each other out!

You could try replacing the other hiding places with more pigloos (don't want to eat up all the floor space) but you may find that one remains the favourite they all want to go in.

As long as they all have someplace to hide, and are generally getting on well, I wouldn't worry too much if they all want to go in a certain place - that's just part of pig nature!

Loveheart

Cavy Slave

Louis now its a HE lol he comes out alllllll the time as he wants to be by the girls but i cant let him i feel sorry for him hes like WHEEK WHEEK WHEEK

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave

When my Peanut and Muffy were pregnant they would kick everone out of the pigglo or the hiding places but now Peanut had her 5 last week and Muffy had her 2 yesterday afternoon and now they all are best of friends. The only time they all fight is when they get veggies and fruits.

kavykritter

Cavy Slave

loveheart u said ur pig is like a turtle, just take the pigloo away! also just try to gently socialize her. u just gotta earn her trust and then not blow it. just get her used to u by giving her her fav. treats, and go slow or fast (most likely slow) to earn her trust. then, just don't break it, like don't lure her out with food and then catch her and whisk her off to the vets.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave

You don't need to take it away, just cout the hole in the pigloo larger so that they won't do that so much. =)

Ruthies owner

Cavy Slave

tggdan3b said:
I have 7 girls in one cage. They all get along fine. I have 2 ends of the cage covered to provide a kind of hiding space, and i have an aquarium on its side as another hiding place.

The thing is, if i put a pigloo into their cage they girls will fight over it. Everyone wants to go inside, and kick everyone else out.

So the question is, does this mean that the hiding places they already have aren't good enough? They never used to fight over the pigloo before, but while one girl was pregnant she spent most of her pregnancy inside the pigloo, and now she doesn't want to share it. Is that why they're fighting? Will they eventually learn to live with it in their cage, or should I not give it to them?

-Dan III

hmmmm, I don't really have that problem b/c ruthie is a single piggy but she loves her igloo too!

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave

Ruthies owner said:
hmmmm, I don't really have that problem b/c ruthie is a single piggy but she loves her igloo too!
I sencond tashagurl's suggestion. Piggies in groups or even pairs are endless fun. And the pigs will be much happier. Everybody wins.

silkerlover

Cavy Slave

Ya, I had only one pig before too. But when I got her a friend, it was a lot more fun for her and me. If you only have one pig, you dont know how much more fun it is having two. It is so fun to introduce them! I had never seen my first piggy so happy =)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.