Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Pigloo poopies made easier

I personally never use pigloos. They have always cased fighting issues with my group. Also there is little ventilation in there. I would guess you would need to dump that carefesh daily.

I also wanted to add that the lady's cage is to small for 2 pigs. She has a 2x3 by the look of the video. She also, I am guess by the names, has boars, who will need a much bigger cage. I house my two boars in a 2x5 and they still rumble all the time at each other, even after a year of being together. Just wanted to point this out in case someone watches this from here and thinks a 2x3 is ok for two pigs, let alone two males.

this is an old video for this person...if you watch more recent ones you'll see the boys have a 2x5 or 2x6 cage now

this is an old video for this person...if you watch more recent ones you'll see the boys have a 2x5 or 2x6 cage now
Yeah. She also has a 2 lvl cage. I just liked the idea for the pigloos or really I am sure it is usable for any house/hidey in gen. I think it is rather smart. :)

According to the GPC Home Page, the minimum requirement for 2 guinea pigs is a 2x3.

Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

I understnad that bigger is always better and that boars tend to prefer more room, but this person isn't doing anything wrong as far as the cage size is concerned.

Last edited:
am i reading in the wrong section? when i looked at the requirements on the home page here, it said 2X3 was good for only one pig, 2X4 for 2 pigs. where did i go wrong? :?:

am i reading in the wrong section? when i looked at the requirements on the home page here, it said 2X3 was good for only one pig, 2X4 for 2 pigs. where did i go wrong? :?:

There are 6 columns on the chart. The 2nd and 3rd columns say "minimum" and "preferred." If you look in the row with 2 pigs it says under "minimum" that cage standards are 7.5 sq ft, which is a 2x3 C&C cage.

It may say that the min for 2 is 2x3 but with boars you should throw that out the window. More room should be the min. For sows, maybe that might work but for boars, no way. Besides, since when should guinea pigs get the min of anything? Only the best for my pigs, be that big cages, food or bedding.

It may say that the min for 2 is 2x3 but with boars you should throw that out the window. More room should be the min. For sows, maybe that might work but for boars, no way. Besides, since when should guinea pigs get the min of anything? Only the best for my pigs, be that big cages, food or bedding.

To be honest, I don't know what to say about the boars vs sows debate. Maybe if it's in the best interest of the pigs @CavySpirit could amend the charts, so that one is for sows and one is for boars...

Minimums are put in place so that people have an understanding of where to start. No one should be criticized for meeting the minimum standard cage requirement.

I'm not criticizing anyone, I am simply stating that in the 4 years I have owned pigs and had C&C cages, I have learned and read that bigger is better. I pointed out her cage isn't the best because while it does say the min is 2x3, bigger is better and the PREFERRED cage size for 2 is a 2x4 (male or female). I pointed this out and brought up males because you can search up many pages of males fighting.

If Teresa wants to update it, its her choice, but frankly if people would read through the Guinea Pigs Social Life area they would see that males DO in fact need bigger cages.

And since I just want to make a small point here:

While we publish minimum cage size requirements for 2 guinea pigs as 7.5 square feet (or a 2x3 grid cage), our Cavy Spirit minimum is 10.5 square feet (or a 2x4 grid cage). Even ONE guinea pig needs 7.5 square feet. So, adding a few more square feet for two should be possible in most cases. Two boars should not be housed in less than 10.5 square feet, in our opinion. For more information on cage sizes and ways to provide it, please visit our Guinea Pig Cages web site. (The 2x4 grid cage pictured sits on a 5' x 30" work table.)

I don't mean to be harsh or cranky, I just don't want new guinea pig owners to think going with the min of anything is ok. If that was the case, this site would not be here.

The point of having a chart is to be a quick reference for anyone searching information. Research is always best, but we have to be understanding that people may not know where to start. In the beginning I had no idea what a forum was or how it worked. The information on GPCs home page was my saving grace to finding the answers I needed to properly take care of my guinea pigs.

The fact that an organization publishes conflicting information is not helpful in any way. I'm not trying to pick a fight with all of GPC, but I'd like to put it out there that maybe the chart should be revised to list a 2x4 cage as the minimum for 2 guinea pigs, if that's how everyone feels.

Personally I would feel really bad if someone did their research, made a 2x3 cage for their 2 pigs, brought it on here to show it off because they are so proud of their work...just to have everyone tell them they are wrong and that they "should have made" a 2x4, because that would be better.

I honestly don't know what to say. I really can not figure out why your fighting about this.

The bottom line is:

A 2x3 cage is good for one guinea pig. Yes it states it is a min for 2 but if we use common sense, it also states a min requirement for 1 guinea pig is 7.5 feet, if that is the case, adding another would mean needing it to be bigger for more guinea pigs, be that a 2x4 or more.

I only posted about it because new people could stumble across this, and as you pointed, could in fact need this information. I also think that most people would not see that graph and just build, they would read why its good, thus finding out that a 2x4 is better for 2 pigs.

If they just built it with out reading and posted they would find people suggesting to make it bigger, no telling them they are wrong. This is what this forum is about, education. AND the fact that I easily found areas that say Boars need more room, I honestly don't know why you continue to fight about it.

Teresa has was more important things to do than redo a chart because people are not willing to read any other information.

I have an idea... Why don't we kick this over to Teresa, since it's her site?

The charts on the Home page of this site do say that a 2x3 is the minimum for one or two pigs. But on Guinea Pig Education, Care, Rescue and Adoption at Cavy Spirit, the Cages article said that Teresa wouldn't adopt to anyone with less than a 2x4. The post CanadianComforts cited above says that a 2x4 is the minimum for two boars.

I agree with Catahoula that we should make a clearer distinction about the boars vs. sows, because two boars in a 2x3 is probably a recipe for mayhem and bloodshed.

I'll PM Teresa, and will be glad to work on straightening things out according to her preferences.

Well I am not arguing ;) . I personally think the more education spread around the forums is a good thing! Hence why I posted the video in the 1st place, an idea I haven't seen elsewhere yet. I just thought the litter ban in the igloo was brilliant.

Well I am not arguing ;) . I personally think the more education spread around the forums is a good thing! Hence why I posted the video in the 1st place, an idea I haven't seen elsewhere yet. I just thought the litter ban in the igloo was brilliant.

Sorry your post got high-jacked. Hope you're not mad at us. :sorry:

But for the sake of further education, this thread seemed to have brought up some information that might be confusing.

I agree... sorry for hijacking your thread.

I am going to stick my 2 cents in. Sorry! lol.

I have 2 girls in a 2x4 with a 2x1 second level. If I had the room I would make it bigger!. I have had to add more hiding spaces for them as I am finding they squabble quite a bit too. I think that a 2x3 should be the min for 1 pig. I have 2 boars and they are each in their own 2x3 with a second level and I would love to give them more. they do Zoomies like crazy and sometimes it just doesnn't seem to be enough room for 1 never mind 2 and males at that.
I have a feeling though my girls are just as bad as the boars.

I think Canadiancomforts was right to point out that it was not big enough. for the new persons sake. If they are surfing looking at cage pics. Build a 2x3 for 2 pigs end up with fighting, an injured pig and the damage done to the relationship well it is a little late to be telling them it is too small a cage. I would Hope these forums are for preventing just such situations.

Kananaka I love your idea! My girls always want to use their pigloo for a litter box as well. I might give this a try. I have a litter box like yours they use but if its an enclosed area they will use that too. :D

Last edited:
You are free to post your opinion, CC, as long as it's stated as such.

I am not changing the cage size standards. There is minimum and there is preferred.

In point of fact, there are plenty of bonded boar pairs who do just fine in a 2x3.

However, I'm taking into account a lot of issues and aspects on the standards. It's not about perfection, it's about market acceptance. I factor in the bigger, national and worldwide adoption picture. If you want to move the bar higher, you can start a new site and post your guidelines. Moving the bar higher than what I have for a very small minority of the population is one thing. Moving the bar to my standards is still a long way off from being adopted commercially and in the retail market. More work needs to be done.

The quotes from my rescue site also stand. I've always had some of the highest standards around when it comes to adopting from me. However, for those people who, for whatever reason, thought a 2x4 grid cage was just too big, I always happily refer them to our local shelters and will even provide them with a 2x3 grid cage. I don't do it very often, but I have done it. It IS the baseline minimum. Once someone gets a 2x3 grid cage and if they have issues, they can see that for themselves and expand as needed.

Pushing what seems like an enormous cage on people who are clueless does nothing but turn them into belligerent disbelievers that go out and get a superpet cage from Petco.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Kananaka I love your idea! My girls always want to use their pigloo for a litter box as well. I might give this a try. I have a litter box like yours they use but if its an enclosed area they will use that too. :D
Not my idea at all. Credit goes to the lady who posted the video, which isnt me. But I really like the idea 2. And no worries on hijacking my thread @ all, good discussions no matter the original topic are always welcome by me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.