Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Piggys and Bunnies

Jocelyn3113

Cavy Slave
Hi all,
I decided to put this here because I feel it will probably be confrontational. Here goes I have a bunny and I now have a piggy, we have a large bunny proof *as much as one can anyway, kittchen.
Here is where it may get heated, my bunny has free roam of the kitchen a good chunk of the time I am home, because I will meerly crack open the laptop at the table or read a book in here. I also have a pen set up alot of the time (4x2 of those grids) I set that up for my two rats (the one could climb it the other could not, so neither do because they would rather be together, amazing little animals rats), or the hedgie. I will at time put the piggy in there (when I set it up outside).
To allow the piggy the most time outside of his cage and the largest area to run around in I let him roam with the bunny. There are lots of boxes and pigaloos set up for the piggy to hide in but he is not that type of pig. The bunny and him dont really pay much attention to one another the bunny spends his entire time looking for things to destroy, the piggy likes to run and snuggle during his time. Occasionally they will sit touching eachother when eating a treat or something.
Now they wont ever live together, nor are they together unsupervised but they do soend time running around together.

You should never have guinea pigs and rabbits together. One kick from a rabbit can instantly kill a guinea pig. Rabbits can carry Bordetella which can be deadly to guinea pigs.

The rabbits cage is in the same room as the pigs so if he was going to transfer something it would probably happen anyway... my other thoughts are many people have cats or dogs running around, myself included (small ones but still, I would think them to be more dangerous then the rabbit, again they wont ever live together but with supervision it seems okay

Just my thoughts though, and I do really appreciate the info I have found on this site all very helpful

You could sit right next to the cage while the rabbit kicked the pig and you would not be able to react fast enough to stop it. Supervision won't prevent it from happening. Since they are inside the pen area together, I do not think it should be compared to people with dogs and cats. Though I would prefer those animals to not be in the same room either. My sister's rabbit was killed by our mother's dogs. The rabbit was in a pen and supervised.

I think it would be better to set up a floor-time schedule so the two animals are separate. Why put your animals at risk?

You could sit right next to the cage while the rabbit kicked the pig and you would not be able to react fast enough to stop it. Supervision won't prevent it from happening. Since they are inside the pen area together, I do not think it should be compared to people with dogs and cats. Though I would prefer those animals to not be in the same room either. My sister's rabbit was killed by our mother's dogs. The rabbit was in a pen and supervised.

I think it would be better to set up a floor-time schedule so the two animals are separate. Why put your animals at risk?

You would rather your pig be in a room with your cat or your dog really ?

The rabbits cage is in the same room as the pigs so if he was going to transfer something it would probably happen anyway... my other thoughts are many people have cats or dogs running around, myself included (small ones but still, I would think them to be more dangerous then the rabbit, again they wont ever live together but with supervision it seems okay

The bigger concern isn't of passing along disease but like others have said, one kick from the rabbit and the pig is likely dead. Is that really something you want to risk? The simplest solution is just to have them roaming around at different times then you won't have to worry about anything like that.

Im still on the fence on this one but as usual I will take your information underconsederation.
Thanks guys :D

You would rather your pig be in a room with your cat or your dog really ?

That's all you took from my post? Really? I clearly stated I'd rather not have them in the same room either way. But if you do have your dog in the living room and the pig in the dining area, for example, you could shoo your dog away if it comes over to investigate. Some dogs have a higher risk than others. Higher prey drives, younger dogs want to play with things,etc. It's a case-by case basis and the owner needs to have the common sense to recognize high risk situations. If I was also a dog owner, I'd never have them in the same room regardless. From prior experience that ended with a death.

A rabbit and guinea pig should not be in the same pen. You could at least fashion a divider in the pen, and I have no idea how high a risk Bordetella is. You not even putting up that divider after all the research available, shows that you simply haven't a high concern for safety.

The reasoning for you even posting a thread isn't to ask how risky it really is. You posted this thread to make it a point that you don't care whether all these highly experienced small animal owners think it's dangerous, you're going to do it your way. Not even when there are simple, cheap solutions to have their floor-time separately. Some would call you an internet troll. Someone who says things to rile others up.

@MissJean exactly my thought! You just posted this to get a fight started. You had no questions at all in your statement. You are just trying to get everyone angry. I will not even comment on your posting because you know its wrong!

That's all you took from my post? Really? I clearly stated I'd rather not have them in the same room either way. But if you do have your dog in the living room and the pig in the dining area, for example, you could shoo your dog away if it comes over to investigate. Some dogs have a higher risk than others. Higher prey drives, younger dogs want to play with things,etc. It's a case-by case basis and the owner needs to have the common sense to recognize high risk situations. If I was also a dog owner, I'd never have them in the same room regardless. From prior experience that ended with a death.

A rabbit and guinea pig should not be in the same pen. You could at least fashion a divider in the pen, and I have no idea how high a risk Bordetella is. You not even putting up that divider after all the research available, shows that you simply haven't a high concern for safety.

The reasoning for you even posting a thread isn't to ask how risky it really is. You posted this thread to make it a point that you don't care whether all these highly experienced small animal owners think it's dangerous, you're going to do it your way. Not even when there are simple, cheap solutions to have their floor-time separately. Some would call you an internet troll. Someone who says things to rile others up.
There is no pen, its the whole kitchen, clearly you are not reading my posts either... Believe me if the intent was to rile you up I would have come up with something much more extreme. Also I posted twice more saying thank you for the informtion and I would think about it, those did not show up here yet not sure why? I was posting to simply say it was working. I dont understand some of you guys... if we are here we are trying to become better pet owners but when ever anyone has a different opinion or thought on a subject you chase them away... that is not helping anyone.

Also they do not live in the same pen. Do not, read my post before you judge. Also this whole delay thing in the kitchen causes things to become quite misinterpreted.

Also they do not live in the same pen. Do not, read my post before you judge. Also this whole delay thing in the kitchen causes things to become quite misinterpreted.

Why don't you put one of them in the pen while the other is out playing?

I could I just thought this way they could both recieve the most time out of their cage as possible

I also have a guinea pig and a rabbit. My rabbit is for the most part, free to roam my giant room all day, only being put away when I'm not home, or asleep, which isn't very much :D. What I did, so I wouldn't have to worry about the whole kicking thing, is I got a playpen so George, the guinea pig, can run around and play in that, while Bubba, my rabbit, is also allowed to run around at the same time. It allows me to have both of them out at the same time without worrying about George getting kicked by Bubba. Which is a possibility. Rabbits are fast. They can get startled, or excited and kick in the blink of an eye. It's just not safe for them to be around each other without a barrier.

As far as the disease thing goes, I'm not too sure about that, I guess I need to do more research on it seeing as I have both of them living in my room. :eek:hmy:

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.