Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Piggy isn't eating veggies

GuineaPigz

Cavy Slave
My one guinea pig that I have (don't tell me to get another, my cage is only a 2X3 and parents won't let me) I got her from a pet store (before I knew better)when she was a baby. I have tried introducing veggies to her diet but she just won't eat them. I've tried green peppers, carrots, romaine lettuce, red lettuce, and baby lettuce but she barely nibbled on any of them. I managed to feed her part of some lettuce but she was in my hand and doesn't look at it food otherwise. Plus she never touches her alfalfa hay and cleans her pellet dish as fast as you can say fat and unhealthy pig. Help! What should I do!?!?!?!?

GuineaPigz

Cavy Slave
Should I maybe put nothing in the cage except for veggies for a week?

piggielover92

Cavy Slave
How old is she?

piggielover92

Cavy Slave
As long as she is eating something it probably not something to panic about. Try not giving her veggies for a while. She may learn to appreciate them more...

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure that withholding the other food completely is a good idea. I'd also be interested as to how old she is since you mention alfalfa hay. I think if she's over 6 months you should transition to timothy or one of the other non-legume hays. However, they should have a constant supply of hay so I would not restrict that. You might try offering pellets only once a day and keep it to a small quantity. Give veggies at other times and keep trying. It sometimes takes them a while to get used to something new. Mine didn't like veggies at first but I kept hand feeding them until finally they got the hang of it. Maybe offer some fruits too as she might go for that easier and transition to veggies. Not too much fruit though.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I agree with Licia. Keep trying small amounts of veggies everyday until she starts eating them. Maybe nibble on some yourself in front of her so she knows they are ok to eat. I did that with one of my pigs. It helped some. Only put a very small quantity of pellets in her dish per day, about 1/8 of a cup. If you have to, get her to eat as much veggies from your hand during laptime as you can.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.