Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General piggy food

IluvBUTTERS

Cavy Slave
So right now i have a baby piggy prob about a month old, And i was looking on petco.com and i saw some food i might wanna get its called, ZuPreem Natures promise, should i get Butters this food

The top recommended brands here are Oxbow (found at Petsmart) and KMS (only available online).

I haven't heard of that brand but let's go ahead and take a look at the ingredients:

Sun-cured timothy grass hay, Ground corn, Corn gluten meal, Dried beet pulp, Dicalcium phosphate, Dextrose, Calcium carbonate, Flaxseed meal, Salt, Brewers dried yeast, Ground vegetables (carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress and spinach), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Choline chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Natural mixed tocopherols, Zinc sulfate, Ferrous sulfate, Manganese sulfate, Copper sulfate, Zinc proteinate, Calcium iodate, Copper proteinate, Manganese proteinate, Cobalt carbonate, Sodium selenite, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, Vitamin E supplement, Niacin, Calcium pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine hydrochloride, Thiamine mononitrate, Folic acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 supplement.

Doesn't really sound very natural to me. Lots of minerals and hard to pronounce ingredients. Not to mention "dried beet pulp" and "dried yeast"???

The strongest recommendations you'll run into here is Kleenmamas and Oxbow.

Kleenmamas: (broken link removed)

Oxbow: Oxbow Animal Health | Home

Both very high quality pellets and hay. For a baby pig (under 6 mths), you'll want to supplement their diet with alfalfa (either pellets or hay).

Zupreem's not a very good pellet. But if you're buying online from Petco, you should be able to get Oxbow -- it's a much better product.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.