Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Piggies with Disabilities?

PopePopsicleIV

Cavy Slave
So I don't know if anyone's ever had a piggy like this, let alone two, but I'm just wondering what all I may need to do for them as I'll be adopting them this afternoon and I want to make sure I have all my preparations in order.
I'm adopting two 9 month old boys from PetSmart where my best friend works I'm not sure which but before or after they came in they had inner ear infections, which thankfully they're all cured of now, but now their necks are tilted with I think it's called wry neck. They're eating, drinking, and getting along fine as of now, they're perfectly healthy except for that little neck bend.

I was just wondering if anyone else had piggies with this problem, and if you could let me know of any extra care or precautions i should take to keep them comfortable and happy.

Pigs with head tilts do pretty well. Mostly they're very bad at standing up to beg for veggies. As long as they can reach the water bottle they'll do fine. If you have any upper levels or ramps you may want to make sure they have railings. Sometimes a pig with a head tilt will turn wrong while running around the cage or squabbling with another pig, and you don't want that to become a trip and fall.

Oh thank you! I was planning on altering my ramp anyways! its good to know what to do before I do it! Are there any toys i should stray away from or are they generally good about those? I figure they're just like more normal guinea pigs but i just want to check and give them a better life than laying around in the back of a pet store

I'm not sure about toys. I had only one tilty pig, who was kind of lazy (judging by the dry margins of her ears she was probably middle aged). She enjoyed trying to sneak up on her cagemates and cuddle them while they were sleeping and wouldn't run away from her.

She liked the same kinds of toys as other pigs: cardboard boxes, paper bags filled with hay, cuddle cups and small kitty beds with nice cushiony sides for leaning against.

That sounds absolutely too cute!! I'm not so worried anymore, like I said, i've only ever had one other pig, so I didnt know if these two would be different, I didnt think so. I have a feeling they're going to be super delightful :] Thanks for your advice!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.