Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Piggies Not Allowed Indoors

GuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Precious and Mocha currently live in our garage, which I know is really bad for them for a lot of reasons. I've been trying to convince my parents to let them stay indoors, but they keep turning me down. My Dad said that if I could prove to him that the garage was really bad for them, he would let me keep them inside. Does anybody have any links that would help convince them?

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
There's a whole page you could print out on the best location for pigs.

https://guineapigcages.com/location.htm

Here's a quote from it, about garages specifically:

NO GARAGES!
Unless your garage is finished off, insulated and part of your home, it is inappropriate for a guinea pig cage. Drafts, temperature fluctuations, temperature extremes, humidity fluctuations, the possibility of toxic fumes from cars, furnaces, or chemicals and not being connected to the family activity are all reasons why garages are a bad idea for guinea pigs.

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
Yeah I was gonna say the gasoline fumes. Plus, having them in your house or even room makes them happier cause they are around people all the time!

Acorn

Cavy Slave
I was there when it happened. her dad was there, yelling at her to put it out, and i was holding Mocha in my hands, and her dad was yelling at her to put her in. it's sad. you can just tell your dad over, i mean, if it's 100 degreees or over, than the piggies are in, but under, it goes out. especially Mocha, she's too young!!!

Oh, and for those of you who don't know me, i'm Sydney, GuineaPigGal's best friend and neighbor. Please call me Acorn.

Acorn

NewGPOwner

Cavy Slave
Ask your dad, "How would you feel if you were left out in the garage"? What temperature is it outside anyways? Guinea Pigs don't need to be exposed to certain temperatures and conditions.

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
If you are trying to convince your dad, I probibly would not say anything to get him on the defence. If you have a spot in your bedroom to keep them, try that direction. He may be convinced to let them stay in your room, if they are out of his way in there. Did you ever ask him why he does not want them indoors? Your room would be better then the garage, Good luck! :0~
NewGPOwner said:
Ask your dad, "How would you feel if you were left out in the garage"? What temperature is it outside anyways? Guinea Pigs don't need to be exposed to certain temperatures and conditions.

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
Ok. This is NOT fair. Piggies have to be around people. :'( I can't stand to hear this happen ><

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
Just wondering. If your dad doesn't really like the piggies, then why did you get them?

GuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
no, my dad loves the guinea pigs, it's just that he has to listen to my mom, and my mom says that they are making the house dirty.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I would definitely say that the garage is one of the worst places for your cavies, especially if your family parks in the garage. On top of uncontrollable temperatures, there is a very real threat of carbon monoxide poisoning from the car fumes, not to mention gas, oils, other car fluids and chemicals that might be stored out there.

Unless your pigs are free range, how are they making the house dirty? Maybe if you offer to clean the cage a bit more often and vacuum up any kicked out bedding and hay they will let the piggers back in.

cAvYcRaZy

Cavy Slave
You should say to put them in your room and only let them have floortime in your room even though it would be really crowded. That's how it was the first couple of months I had my pigs because my mom didnt want them anywhere else.For a while my pigs had to run around eachother's cages in a narrow space but they seemed to have liked it better than a big space. :)

kalrik

Cavy Slave
I would do anything to have it so they can be inside. The weather fluctuations are really bad for them. Say you'll keep them in your bedroom and that you'll decrease the cage size so they can fit, or whatever. Whatever it takes!

pennick

Cavy Slave
Why don't you ask to have them in your room on a trial basis. Tell your mom and dad that the piggies will be your sole responsibility. You will make sure that the cage does not make a mess since you will be the one cleaning it. Tell them that if you slack in this responsibility then out they will go. And if they say yes then its up to you whether they stay or not.

GuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I just got good news! Based on my best friend Acorn's brilliant idea, I typed up a report on how guinea pigs should stay inside, and besides being impresssed by my grammar and spelling, they took it to heart what the report was saying. So i'm glad to tell you all that Precious and Mocha are officially staying inside our house.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Congrats to Precious and Mocha! And to you as well. Goes to show that listening to good advice from a friend and doing some research always worth the effort. I'm so glad everything worked out. Everyone is going to be much happier and healthier.

Please let us see your happy little crew when you can. We all adore pigtures!

kalrik

Cavy Slave
THat's so cool! I am glad your efforts paid off! Yay!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.