Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Piggies don't seem interested in loft?????????

coconutty78

Cavy Slave
001.jpgWe only just introduced our boys to their new c&c cage yesterday. However nither of them have shown any interest in exploring this area, mind you it will probably take more time. I also tried placing them up in the loft area and they just seemed more eager to get back to the lower level. My question is have any of you built a loft only to realize your piggies are not interested and decided to close it off and maybe use it for storage instead? All my boys have been doing since they went in there is either eat or just lay around napping.

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
It takes guinea pigs some time to get used to an upper level. With mine I put their veggies along the ramp and a few veggies at the top. They then started to use the ramp more after a few days when they realised they could go up. Give them a few days, you might see a sudden change and find that their always up there.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
How old are your boys? Do they fight at all? Small lofts like yours can be places where pigs get trapped if they are still going through dominance issues.

Also, if you make more reasons (food!) for pigs to hang out up there, they will.

coconutty78

Cavy Slave
How old are your boys? Do they fight at all? Small lofts like yours can be places where pigs get trapped if they are still going through dominance issues.

Also, if you make more reasons (food!) for pigs to hang out up there, they will.

Based on the previous owners they should be about 10 months old, they chatter at eachother and one tries to mount the other, but nothing to serious. As Guineapigs2468 mentioned i'm gonna give it a try with veggies leading up the ramp. As i figured its just a matter of time as well. thanks

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

coconutty78

Cavy Slave

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
try making the ramp longer

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If it doesnt work in about a week. I would take the grids off and just expand the bottom level of cage. mine never really liked the loft thing.

coconutty78

Cavy Slave
If it doesnt work in about a week. I would take the grids off and just expand the bottom level of cage. mine never really liked the loft thing.

I am gonna give it some time. I've decided if i don't really ever see them using it in the future even if food is available leading up there. I'm closing it off with another grid and using it to store food and small supplies. They seem very content with the main area down below plus they have a kitchen off the side so they still have plenty of space. Thanks for the feed back

MomofTwoBugs

Cavy Slave
We just built our C&C Cage with loft yesterday and at first the girls wouldn't go down from the loft. They finally did and slept downstairs. This morning I tried the tip that was suggested about putting food on the ramp and it worked perfectly. They climbed up and down the ramp with no issues. I would highly suggest trying the food trick if yours still aren't interested.

coconutty78

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately i did try the food trick and left it there for a couple of hours and nothing happened they would have nothing to do with it. So for some they may like it, others clearly not so much. Thanks everyone for suggestions.

macysmom

Cavy Slave
Macy wouldn't use her ramp at first and the food thing didn't work. She would just eat the pieces of veggie that she could reach by stretching but not actually putting her feet on the ramp. I got some great advice here about bending grids and attatching them to the top like a roof and then covering it with fleece. She loved that and was using her ramp by that night. Now her entire kitchen is upstairs w/shavings and downstairs is fleece w/beds and hidies. Its so easy to clean.

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you turn it into a tunnel, they will feel more secure. Making the ramp longer will also help.

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
The ramp looks a tad too short, the angle rather severe, that could be a reason why. As was suggested by (broken link removed)
Maybe make it a tad longer to reduce the angle?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Just took a closer look at your ramp. Maybe the pigs don't like the material you lined the ramp with. Try towels or fleece and see if they will go up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.