Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Piggie size!

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
We have three piggies....

Mr Dad and Gumball are about the same age... Darwin is a bit younger. I've been keeping track of their weights and I have to say... Even though Darwin is the youngest and I think should still be growing, he remains really small. He weighed in yesterday at 24.75 oz yesterday. I think he's about 6 months or so old. He is an American Crested.

Now, Gumball is a Tri Colored American short haired. I estimate his birthday around the middle of March, so he's about 11 mos old right now. He weighed in at 34 oz.

Mr Dad... the fatty... he doesn't eat much hay, but LOVES his pellets. He is about a week older than Gumball, I have his actual birthday as he was a rescue from a borderline hoarder, March 8. He is a Purvian/Abyssinian mix I believe because he has a few extra flips in his fur. Anyway.. he's H U G E. He clocks in as 44.25 oz. 10 oz MORE than a piggie his same age. He's creeping up on 3 lbs. Is that NORMAL? He's a beast... just huge.

Anyone else have big piggies? He doesn't feel fat, he's fast and healthy and loves snuggles.

Pigs come in all sizes & shapes just like humans, it all depends on genetics & metabolism. As long as they are healthy, active, have a stable weight & young pigs follow a normal weight curve, there is no reason to worry.

Are you feeding Mr Dad a limited amount (1/8 cup) of a high quality timothy pellet? Hay is the absolute most important part of a guinea pigs diet, both for internal health & trimming molars. Pellets the smallest part & you need to make sure he eats more grass hay. Do you have a large enough cage?

Yeah, he's in his own part of the cage. He and Gumball hate each other and will fight when in the same cage. His loft is about 6 sq ft.

I have a feeling that hay wasn't big in his diet before we got him. THe lady I got him off of had like 30-50 pigs, hard to even guess and had no hay or fresh veggies out for them. Basily the money she got from me buying him was going for hay for the other ones.. blahh...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.