Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting piggie horribly attacked

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
i have two girls for momths now and out of no where i pick up Xena and she was covered in scabs, i seperated them. yesterday i put them together and Alice started attacking Xena ruthlessly. what can i possibly do to help them get along?!

so sorry! what a horrible shock! please give us a little more info: how big is your cage, how old are your pigs? is it possible they are sick, maybe have mites? it's not uncommon for pigs to fight even if they've gotten along before. it would be helpful, though to try and figure out what happened, right?

i have 2 cuys, there about 4.5lbs each. i have a 2*3 with a 1*3 loft. its not mites i only cleaned the wounds everyday and there gone now. Alice is so determined to fight Xena that when i made a makeshift separating devic in there play pen, she tries to force her way threw it to attack her. :(

wow those are big piggies, could you make their cage bigger? it might help. You were definatley right to separate them :)

If they are drawing blood, which it sounds they are, I would seperate them. With the bites she does have watch for abcesses. They can happen because of bites.
Your cage needs to be bigger. Two piggies should be at the very smallest 2X4. Your loft does not count for floor space.

You could make the cage bigger, clean it all out so that there is no smell of either pigs. Check out the home page on the left hand sife for Awesome Info, click on to Cavy Spirit, then onto socializing. You will find a whole section on introducing your pigs.
See how that goes and let us know what happens.

Yes, enlarge your cage.

What makes you think it's not mites?

2x4 is the minimum recommend cage size for two average-sized guinea pigs, which usually don't even hit 3 pounds...I would imagine that a pair of 4.5-pound cuys would need proportionately more space.

it was obvious that is was attack wounds. there gone now shes jest growing her fur back.
and thanks everyone the second i can im going to enlarge there space.

The bigger the cage, the better for sure. It is also better not to have lofts, that causing piggies to argue over the ramp or who gets to sit where and so on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.