Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Piggie being mean to very pregnant piggie

stacy97006

Cavy Slave
I had 4 piggies til I realized when one became very pregnant that one was a boy... long story short I found a loving home for the male and still have the 3 females. One of the females seems to be showing her dominance and is being really mean to the very pregnant one. No blood but some nipping and alot of chasing. They really pregnant one squeals loudly and runs like crazy (i don't know how shes so big) when the other one comes near her. Should I take the mean one out til she has the babies and then put her back in or just let them work it out now? She seems so upset. The male has been gone since Friday and they were all getting along great before then. She is also being not so nice to the other girl but not as bad or often.

Check the one who's doing the nipping and see if her nipples are crusty and/or if she has any hair loss along her sides. It's possible that she has a hormone problem (like ovarian cysts), which often causes that type of behavior.

If it hasn't stopped by today, I think I'd consider separating them. You don't want the very pregnant one having to scramble to get away.

Also, is your cage large enough for three pigs plus the babies? If not, you may want to take the nipping one out for sure. If she's displaying territorial behavior with just two other pigs in there, it may get worse when the babies come.

Let us know when the pups arrive!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.