Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Piggie behavior: what does this mean?

piggerz

Cavy Slave
I have a question about something interesting that my little Bud does. When I'm holding him and stroking his head, he will raise his head, like he's trying to bump my hand off his head. Does this mean he doesn't like being petted on his head? :confused:

Piggerz and the wiggly piggies

Fay

Cavy Slave
That means he doesn't like it. My pigs do that as well if I come to close to their eyes or if I press to hard. Some pigs simply don't like being petted on the head so either do it gently or avoid the area.

MilwCavyMom

Cavy Slave
Uh oh....Mine will hold their head up when I pet them and I thought it meant they liked it. They try to bump my hand off all though.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
Yep it means they are not enjoying it. I think it goes back to their predator/prey relations as you are obscuring their views of potential predators.

piggerz

Cavy Slave
Hmm, that certainly isn't what I was thinking it meant. I have an older book on Piggies at home, and it mentions something about that kind of action meaning that they like what you are doing. If I think of it when I'm at home, I'll get the book and reprint that part of it.

Well, ok then, I guess my piggy doesn't like that, so I'll have to quit. :sad:
Piggerz

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I have one pig who quite violently pushes my hand away when I stroke her head - though not every time. Whilst it certainly feels to me like she doesn't want me to do it, I have observed all my girls using the same movement when tunneling under a blanket - or whilst investigating a low cardboard box. I actually think it is more of an instinctive movement than an act of displeasure (though when my girl does it - I still stroke her - just leave her head alone for a bit).

MilwCavyMom

Cavy Slave
ooops typo: I meant to say they do not bump my hand away. They lift their heads up when I pet them but don't push away.

SoCalCavies

Cavy Slave
One of my boys does that...and believe me, there is NO QUESTION he doesn't like it. He pushes my hand so hard, there is no mistaking that he's saying, "Yo! Knock it off!" (LOL)

If I don't, it's usually followed by a nice little nip. Evidence yet again, that he's aggravated with me!

:)

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It is a sign of aggrevation. They are telling you to stop doing that.

sweetjay6891

Cavy Slave
Hamilton bumps my hands too when I pet the top of his head. Also if I get near his back feet, He'll kick me! He hates his back rubbed too. The only places I can touch him is his cheeks and neck. Oko on the other hand, loves to be petted anywhere! Doesn't matter where or when. He's my little senior love bug <3

SoCalCavies

Cavy Slave
Hey Sweetjay, we have the same birthday! :cheerful:

My boars love to kick me! And just like you, one likes his head pet, another doesn't. One likes to be held, the other doesn't. The list goes on and on. It really is amazing how different their personalities are. It's gotten to the point that I can even see expressions now on their faces! I love that they are so close to me that I can actually read them like that now.

That's how it should be! :heart:

sweetjay6891

Cavy Slave
Hey Sweetjay, we have the same birthday! :cheerful:

My boars love to kick me! And just like you, one likes his head pet, another doesn't. One likes to be held, the other doesn't. The list goes on and on. It really is amazing how different their personalities are. It's gotten to the point that I can even see expressions now on their faces! I love that they are so close to me that I can actually read them like that now.

That's how it should be! :heart:

June 8th? Haha. How cool! I like to google the date and see what has happened on that date in the past. It's pretty neat. :p

SoCalCavies

Cavy Slave
Neat idea! I never did that before!