Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Pigeon Noises

MishImpossible

Cavy Slave
I brought my two boys home last night and like I'd imagined, they were quite nervous and both headed straight to their wee house. We left them alone for a while but eventually they ventured out (Yay!) every now and again to have some food and munch on some hay. Every now and again they make a pigeon cooing sound and run around the cage. I wasn't sure if they were fighting or now or if this is a good sound?
They're from the same litter and have been brought up together.
I hear conflicting things online, some say the noise is good, some say they shouldn't be making pigeon sounds and it's weird but I thought I'd check on here. I'm quite a nervous new guinea owner lol x

Hooting sounds can be symptoms of a heart problem. It's really hard to identify what the sound really sounds like from the description, though. If you can tape them making the sound, it would be easier to try and figure it out. You can always schedule a well check vet visit. If you got them from a shelter or rescue and bring your paperwork along, some vets offer free check ups if the pets are from a non profit organization.

Ha, we call that sexy owlies - do they either shake ever so slightly when they do it and/or walk really slowly when they do it? ours does this off and on for about 9-10 days, then for about 9-10 they don't do it at all, then it repeats itself. I think it's like they're in heat or something like that. We have 2 girls and they both do it, especially when they're next to each other. Yes, sounds almost just like pigeons!

Ha, we call that sexy owlies - do they either shake ever so slightly when they do it and/or walk really slowly when they do it?

What you're describing sounds more like rumblestrutting. But I don't think rumblestrutting sounds anything like a pigeon!

Some of the "conversational" tones my guinea pigs make sounds like chirping when they're talking to each other and not wheeking at me. If you could get a video of the sounds to post on here that would be helpful!

Yes, they are probably rumblestrutting, but they do it for 9-10 days, some days just a little, others much more. Gracie's tan with white butt, when she really does it her butt hole flares open (kinda gross I know) but I think it's a sexual thing they do. why for so long, like 10 days on, 10 days off. I don't think that's normal.

Hooting sounds can be symptoms of a heart problem.

Where did you get that information (can you post a link)? Most hooters I've seen and heard have not been heart pigs, Cutemomome has Emma who hoots all the time and is not a heart pig. I'm not trying to step on toes here but I have heard of a lot of hooters who aren't sick or have any stress. Here is a clip Momo did to show people:

McChompChomp calls for MotherShip again,... - YouTube

I turned on the video, the chirping was surprisingly loud and it startled my guinea pigs! I heard one of them jump at the noise!! lol

The "chutting" noise this piggy makes when she walks is the same one I was talking about earlier...
[video=youtube;GWcSKAF02Rk]

Where did you get that information (can you post a link)? Most hooters I've seen and heard have not been heart pigs, Cutemomome has Emma who hoots all the time and is not a heart pig. I'm not trying to step on toes here but I have heard of a lot of hooters who aren't sick or have any stress. Here is a clip Momo did to show people:

McChompChomp calls for MotherShip again,... - YouTube

I attached the link to Guinealynx which lists hooting as a possible symptom of heart problems.

@CanadianComforts, here is also a link to quite a few threads from this site that discuss hooting and heart problems:

(broken link removed)

Ha, we call that sexy owlies - do they either shake ever so slightly when they do it and/or walk really slowly when they do it? Yes, sounds almost just like pigeons!

One of them gets up in the others face, does a slow march from side to side so it definitely sounds like what you've described. The other one doesn't seem that bothered and just sits there more interested in his hay. Sometimes there's a bit of a chase but no major fighting and certainly no teeth chattering.

Yep, that's what ours does. They do it a lot for about 8-10 days on and off. Then you rarely ever see it again for the next 8-10 days, the it repeats itself. But yet, what you're describing is exactly what ours does. after a while, they got on each other's cycles and do it at the same time now togheter. Once one starts now, the both do it for a little while. At first it was just Gracie, then Lollie began later in the cycle, now they both do it almost at the exact same cycle.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.