Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Pig seems to have developed a liking to sunlight?

Access

Cavy Slave
I have a female and a male pig, probably each 2-3 years old now, I don't know if I'd call them a bonded pair but they do get along reasonable well.

Anyways my female seems to have developed a liking to sunlight, their area is far away from the window and sunlight only comes in for a brief period in the morning. But every time sunlight is coming through into their area, she always stays under the sun and then moves again when it goes away.

I thought about temperature but that is pretty normal, between 60 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit which should be fine for the piggies. I just wanted to ask, do I try to give her more time the in the sun or just let it be part of her routine? This started only recently (several days ago) and I was always under the impression that guinea pigs weren't that enthusiastic about sunlight, or that being under direct sunlight for any length of time wasn't the best thing for them.

It's only the female, the male does not seem to care; both are very active pigs though, get lots of exercise just running around, somewhat shy around people.

As long as she opts to sit in the sunny spot, I'd let her do that. I wouldn't have the whole cage in the sun, though, because she could get too warm. They get vitamin D from the sun, so there is a benefit to it. If it's easy to give her some access to the sun where she has the choice to sit in a sunny spot or not, I think that would be fine.

The sun is fine -- I wish I had a window in my house where the pigs could be in the sun. Just make sure some part of the cage isn't in the sun so she can get out of it if she wants to.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.