Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Pig is being unusually docile for some reason...

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

One of my pigs, Magneto, is exhibiting behavior that's different from what we normally observe.

First, he usually devours his lettuce. Today, however, he left quite a bit of it. He still ate his pepper and stuff.

Second, after I put him back in his cage he had a little bit of hay, then walked over to a corner and laid down on his side. This is something I've NEVER seen him do in my presence. He might go to a corner and stand there for a bit, but he's never laid out like that with me (ostensibly, a predator) hanging over him.

Third, while lying down he pooped, but it was partially still in his butt when he laid down. It didn't seem to cause him any distress, but still a bit strange.

I think he's had a "rough" day with his cagemate chasing him around and stuff so maybe he's just exhausted. Or maybe he's just so comfortable with me now that he can lie down in my presence. Is there anything that might be wrong with him? :sad:

I've attached a picture (with his poop hanging out of his butt); he usually doesn't lie down when I'm this close to his face.

Received 10102785586698802

Pigsforever

Cavy Slave
You might want to take him to the vet.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If a pig is ill, sometimes their cagemates can sense this, and harass them to no end. Furthermore, not eating is also a symptom of illness.

Do you weigh your pigs regularly? This is a primary indicator to an ill pig, is weight loss.

It may be nothing, but I would definitely keep my eyes on him, if he's exhibiting behaviour he usually doesn't.

The poop hanging out of his butt is nothing, my boar Sly has done this for years.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd be watching him like a hawk, weighing twice daily, with an eye to getting him to the vet ASAP if he doesn't perk back up by tomorrow.

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the responses. We do weigh both pigs daily. They fluctuate within an ounce (41 for Magneto, 47 for Xavier) on any given day and neither has dropped any significant weight recently.

I left the house for the night but my girlfriend was watching the two; she eventually separated them with a grid for the night to give Magneto an opportunity to eat and rest. This morning she said they both appeared fine; Magneto had been eating through the night without issues and such. His odd newfound pickiness for lettuce is a bit strange, but he'll still devour peppers, carrots, and tomatoes with gusto. He's also eating his hay and pellets.

So very likely a false alarm. He's getting a bit up there in years (if his previous owner is correct, he'd be right around 5 years old now), so my girlfriend in particular gets worried.