Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pictures of my Piggies

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
Hi there,
several people have expressed an interest in seeing how I keep my pigs outside, so here goes:

The first picture is the main hutch, where they live when it's too cold or wet to be on the grass. Each floor is 2 foot x 4 foot x 2 foot, with a staircase inbetween. I use wood shavings on the floor, and plie the hay in the boedroom (top left in the picture). This is a new hutch which we have only had a few weeks, prior to autumn I will put a sealed sheet of perspex across the upstairs window to stop the rain getting in. I leave downstairs "free" for better air circulation.

The next one is the outdoor run. This is 3 foot x 3 foot x 6 foot with wire all over. There is a little house inside for shelter, a play tunnel and a manky old bit of plywood on top to stop the sun/rain getting in too much. Once my arm is out of it's sling, improvements are on their way - watch this space!

The last three pictures are of the girls themselves. Renee is the ginger one, who we adopted from the vet, not knowing she was expecting George(ette) the black piggy. George is just four months old, so you can see how tiny the rabbit Sooty is! I managed to avoid getting Sooty's eyes in the picture, as they aren't very pretty. My Offie is the multi Abi, a right lard-ball she is too! She is definitely in charge, and the rabbit is HERS, not mine!

Well, I shall now stand back and see what people think!

zakfoxmom

Cavy Slave
I love the outside run! I wish I had a grassy area that cats didn't pee on that I could let Cinnamon and Coco on.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
We had a real problem with cats at our last house - and we tried everything to stop them using our garden as a toilet. Only one thing worked:

zakfoxmom

Cavy Slave
Ok you leave me guessing, what did you do??? We live in a condo and have a patio area with no grass. Out front we have a huge lawn area that all of the neighborhood cats hang out at throughout the day.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
The wire on the ground should be removed. It is NOT a good thing. I'm considering removing those photos.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
zakfoxmom said:
Ok you leave me guessing, what did you do??? We live in a condo and have a patio area with no grass. Out front we have a huge lawn area that all of the neighborhood cats hang out at throughout the day.
We got a cat ourselves!
it is easier in a house, though, and we have said a big fat no to a cat-flap. He just brings in half-eaten dead things, so he rattles his bells when he wants to come in, or goes round to my Mum who lives down the road.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
slap_maxwell said:
I love the area, but you should not keep buns and guinea pigs together. Read https://guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm. I am a little sceptical about the wire on the ground.

Slap, thanks for your concern, but we've been through all this before on another post. The rabbit is staying.

zakfoxmom

Cavy Slave
OH!!! I'm a little slow on the uptake today. Its Monday. I didn't even notice the wire on the bottom. How come there is wire on the bottom? Wouldn't it be easier for them to munch on the grass if it wasn't there? (in reading posts in other various threads, I want to point out that this is not an attack or insult, I am just curious)

Last edited:

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
CavySpirit said:
The wire on the ground should be removed. It is NOT a good thing. I'm considering removing those photos.

Feel free - I fully expected this to happen.

In my defence, our vet suggested the wire on the bottom as they are out during the day when we are not in and foxes are very common in this area (especially since the hunting ban). Next-door's dog got in once and tipped the run over - resulting in mayhem for a while and some very upset piggies. A fox would be far worse.

We have had pigs living in this run, or it's identical predecessors, since 1983 and have never had a single damaged foot or tooth because of it.

I would imagine the response is going to be that I must move the animals indoors into a C&C cage. That is the reason why I have been hesitant to put up the pictures, despite several requests.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
I think your setup is great. I, personally, would not have had wire on the bottom. I used to keep piggies outside in the summer and inside in the winter. They had a run very similar to yours but without the wire on the bottom. BUT, I must add that they were NEVER in it unsupervised. Your reasons for having wire on the bottom are very valid ones. BUT, this is an indoor piggy, C&C cage loving, no rabbits as cavy friends promoting forum. Probably best to have perhaps posted this in the kitchen forum?

Out of curiosity, do you bring your pigs inside for cuddles? This is how I learnt (the hard way) that the temperature fluctuations involved in bringing an outdoor cavy indoors can result in their demise. My last boar died 8 years ago due to pneumonia caused (so the vet says) by this very reason. I won't be keeping guinea pigs outdoors again.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
I am extremely careful about temperaturue changes, and if it is below 15 degree centigrade, I go out to them, or cuddle them in the conservatory which is unheated.
In the past I have had to house a pig indoors for medical treatment in early November, and then, even though he was fully fit again in January he was kept in till March when it had warmed up enough outside.

I know what this forum is about - that is why i have waited ages before finally being persuaded to post pictures.
Probably a mistake.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I guess wire isn't terrible if you do have a problem with foxes... I like the run and hutch :) very cute cavies too!

zakfoxmom

Cavy Slave
I don't think it was a mistake at all to post. I personally enjoy seeing setups other Cavy Slaves have :)

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
I second zakfoxmom.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
In my defence, our vet suggested the wire on the bottom as they are out during the day when we are not in and foxes are very common in this area (especially since the hunting ban). Next-door's dog got in once and tipped the run over - resulting in mayhem for a while and some very upset piggies. A fox would be far worse.

I believe you've just been lucky. Chicken wire will in no way stop a determined dog or raccoon.

Cherryrosed

Cavy Slave
I like your hutch. I don't however like the chicken wire on the ground. I understand your reason for it though, and don't think it is necessary to remove the pictures as long as people understand that it is not a good idea. Could you just put an inside border of wire on the run to keep out digging predators such as foxes? If you put wire on the inside for one foot and on the outside for one foot wouldn't that keep the predators from getting in? You could put bricks or something on top of the inside wire so the cavies couldn't get hurt on it. Just a thought.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
The run has to moved at least twice daily to keep the grass supply up, so your idea is quite complicated.

Can I emphasise that absolutley no harm has ever come to any of the many pigs which I, and several friends, have kept in a wired-bottom run.

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
Your hutch is very pretty. And, of course, your piggies are rather adorable! Renee looks like she thinks she's a Queen :)!

You made a comment about your bunnies eyes. Does he (she?) have a birth defect or something? Just curious.

I know that your run is not real popular around these parts (and what I'm about to say may make me unpopular too), but things seem to be going okay and you've been doing it a long time. I think there is always more than one way to do things. It seems the wire on the bottom is regular chicken wire - which has large holes. I really don't think a pig could get a foot caught in that.

As far as chicken wire keeping out foxes and dogs (I don't think Britain has racoons) - yes it most certainly does. Why do you think it's called chicken wire? Every farmer around me uses it for their chicken hutches to KEEP OUT FOXES, DOGS, CATS AND RACOONS!

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
The rabbit is completely blind with cataracts - looks rather unpleasant.
It is going to have to have both eyes out fairly soon, and does not stand a lot of chance of surviving the op - she has had major surgery twice in the last few months and is not eating well due to tooth problems which the last op improved, but has not completely fixed. This has affected the pipework around her sinuses, which in turn causes deep-seated internal eye infections. One reason for not now separating her from the pigs is that she would really miss them and I am not prepared to put her through the trauma of introducing another rabbit - she does blunder about a lot and it could cause irritation. The pigs are useed toit, and just nugde her out of the way. She also has defective back legs which stop her from hopping properly, and she cannot thump at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.