Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Picture this...

SushiBonzai

Cavy Slave
Before I begin, i just want to say that IF I did make this cage idea it would be far far far far far far far in the future, when i have my own house and such. But I figured I might as well ask, to see if this idea is stupid, dangerous or okay. Possibly brilliant, but I doubt it.

So, I know hutches are defiantly not a good thing to keep your guinea piggies in. Most are too small, anyways and outside is not a good place. BUT picture this:

What is the piggies had the option to go outside during a nice day if they wanted. Like, have the cage attached, go through a window and out onto a patio area where there is sunshine and maybe just a 2x1 space.

The rest of the cage would be inside and quite big if I get my way. It would, like, line the wall. But there would be a portion that went outside.

But what if it rains? You say. What if the weather is windy and terrible or too hot or too cold and what about at night when preditors can get in a kill those precious animals?

Ah, well, I thought up a solution to that too! You would have a door/latch/gate thing that you could close and would seal off the outside, for anytime that wouldn't be suitable for piggy entertainment.

Like I said, it's just an idea and I'm wondering if I should keep up this thinking or if I should banish the idea to the outer darkness of my mind.

Wodentoad

Cavy Slave
There are day time predators too. If you have a nice place for them to go, I would get or build a little run for supervised outside time.

Would post longer but toddler brought me his otter (toy from the zoo).

SushiBonzai

Cavy Slave
I think I would close it when I'm not there to look after them...

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave
I actually have thought about that too, and personally, I don't think it sounds so bad. As long as you closed it when needed, it would be fine...

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
What i'm wondering is how you would build this...
If you do ever decide of building a Pigtopia of your own, I want to see pics!
It sounds so awesome-tastic-spectacular-totally-super-cool if you're watching them during outdoors time.

PS You may want to add a first-rate alarm system for predators with a moat while you're at it. :D

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Pigs should always be under supervision outside (predators including people can harm guinea pigs any time of the day). It's better to take them outside for a little while when you know they're there and you can watch them.

Additionally, I think the cage would be drafty if there were a door for them to go through.

SushiBonzai

Cavy Slave
Like I said, it's just a thought. The door thingy would be sealed some how. I think I would only have it open when I would be there to supervise, like I said. Years and years in the future.

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
Yeah I'd say it be drafty, and it would probely just be easier to take them outside, and put them in a run on nice days.

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
I think your idea is just great...I bet your piggies will be very happy with that.
Just make sure everything is safe for them, free from predators and people (back yard would be nice).

By the way, please consider these things before you decide to build that pigtopia as their permanent cage:
- Predators/humans
- Weather changes
- Air flows
- This one is the most important thing : how do you know the condition of your piggies when you're not around (you won't be able to take an eye on them 24/7)? I believe for those three things that i mentioned above, you already figured out how you'll solve that problem. Picture these too : you won't hear them fighting, you won't know immediately when they sick, and usually when you put your pet outside, they won't know you as much as when you put them inside the house. There's a chance they'll forget you little by little as their nature instinct back.

I believe that animals always happier when they live outdoor (it's their nature anyway!), but are you ready for those consequences?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.