Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Picky piggy?

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
My pig Georgie has never liked hay, I mean never. And she is 5 years old. I still buy it and she won't even touch it so I use it for craft Ideas for my moms garden. What should I do about her not liking it?

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Wow, I've never heard of a cavy that didn't like hay! You use timothy right? Even if my pig doesn't eat her hay for a bit, she still plays in it! I guess that if she doesn't like it, there isn't really much you can do, but you should still buy it and put it in her cage just in case, seeing as hay is (or should be) a big part of a pig's life. Good luck!

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
Yeah I buy timothy hay, and I've tried every kinda of it. And I've left it in her cage for 3 days 4 tops and none of it touched. And I would know because I have it in a hayrack and nothing was on the shavings.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Hm, that's weird. Well, maybe you should try putting a clump of it on the floor of her cage. She might be more tempted to eat it, or at least play in it and toss it around.

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
Yeah I've tried that too, haha. She is one strange pig.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Haha yeah! But that's okay. I guess just make sure (although I'm sure you do) that she gets her nutrients in other ways, like veggies. Good luck!

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
Haha thanks yeah I'm good about it.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
She will need her teeth to be filed down, because hay is vital for their teeth. Go to the vets and see what they can do. My pigs didn't hav ehay for 3 days and Ruby's teeth still needed to be slightly trimmed.

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
I check her teeth weekly, shes a big chewer and chews on her hidey house so they are normal size.

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
And also we buy pellets with hay made in it. And she seems to eat that. I don't get why she eats that and not regular hay. Maybe it's because its got different tastes in it I dont know.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
You can check her molars (I think that's what they are called)? They are way back in the mouth and small, I believe. My vet had to shove his finger in her mouth to check them. you can't just look at them. Guinea pigs have a lot of teeth, many of them in the back of their mouths.

....What kind of pellets have hay in them? And it dosen't do the same as hay does.

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
I know it doesn't do the same, I forget what they are called I am not at my mom's at the moment. And I also have broughten my GP to the vet and they checked her and said she was fine. I bring her ever couple of months for a checkup because of the lack of hay. The vet said that she can't find out why she doesn't like hay, but she doesn't.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Okay, just checking. :)

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
Yep, but thanks for you consern. Tomorrow I am going to check her teeth anyways just to make sure my vet is really that good.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
If I were you, wash your hands really good before you stick your fingers in her mouth.. And be careful... Don't go too far back and if she gets really mad, pull away.

I've never done it before, but I should probably try it to see if any of my pigs will have to go to the vet for teeth trimming. We got hay right after I went to the vet so my mom told me not to make an appointment for Ruby's teeth to be trimmed, since they were barely needing trimming anyways and it was going to cost $20-$50 anyways.

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
Ok will do, I've had her for 5 years and she trusts me pretty well (she's even a belly pig! lucky me!) but just incase I'll keep an eye out for any signs of distress.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Ruby just basically was like "What the heck are you doing?" when the vet stuck his hand in her mouth.. She was pretty calm about it, it was sorta funny because you could hear her tongue slapping against the roof of her mouth, and then he took his fingers out she was chapping her lips together... Very funny... I thought she'd be a nuisance and try to hop around everywhere at the vets.. But she just peed and pooped.... *_*

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
Haha, that's funny stuff. Georgie is a big fatty, she most likely will just be like "whatever" when I do it. And her eyes will get huge, because for some reason when she scared she opens her eyes really really wide.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I bet you if you got her some of KM's blue orchard grass (bluegrass) she would probably eat that. There aren't many pigs who don't think of that hay as "piggie crack".

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
haha, sounds interesting! I've never heard of it, I'll look for it in local feed stores, if I can't find it there then I'll order it from online. Thanks a bunch. Hopefuly Georgie will eat it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.