Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Picky Pig

Murk21

Cavy Slave
What is the purpose for the variety of veggies? One of my boars is only wanting to eat the peppers, cilantro, carrots, and the lettuce... and the lettuce is only eaten when there's absolutely nothing else left. My other boar enjoys a wider variety of things. I'm just wondering if the variety is due to getting a good mix of vitamins or if it's so they don't get bored?

Hey there. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about my question on why the variety of vegetables is needed. Is my pig getting the vitamins he needs with the few veggies that he will eat (see post above), or is it that they get bored and will stop eating the same stuff if given over and over? Thanks!

I think the answer is both, but the variety of nutrients is primary. Did you review the diet page on GuineaLynx? It's here: https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html.

You can also try grinding up the vegies he doesn't like, and mixing them in with his pellets. From what I've read, it seems to help them get used to a new taste, and they get the nutrients.

Thanks so much! My main fear is that suddenly he'll not want the veggies that he does eat if he gets tired of them. I'll try mixing tiny pieces in their pellets. As i said before, the other pig will try just about anything. I'd been using the list of veggies from the sticky in this forum and the only thing he hasn't liked so far were the cherry tomatoes. Sometimes I think he'd like to eat my finger if I'd let him :)

I'll try mixing tiny pieces in their pellets.
They should be tiny, tiny pieces. Think of a pencil eraser chopped into about 8 or so pieces. That way he will get a bite of it on accident and hopefully will learn to like it. This strategy really worked with my picky boar. Now he'll eat basically anything. :)

I think it's good to give them a variety, because then if you can't get something that they're used to eating, they don't have such a limited list to choose from. Mine will reliably eat about 12 different veggies, and will at least taste new ones.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.