Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Picky eaters.

2cavies

Cavy Slave
I am a new member, and have been looking at this site for a few months. My husband and I just adopted two male cavies on Sunday. They are about 2 years old, their names are pepper and twister. They are very cute. I have been trying to figure out what kind of veggies they like. They eat hay and their pellets but do not want any veggies. The only veggie they like right now is carrots which I am giving once a day. I have tried romaine lettuce, green peppers, banana, escarole, tomato and cilantro and they nibble but don't eat it. I would like to know how long it will take for them to eat more veggies, and/or is it because they are still getting used to the new place.:confused:
thanks.

ortal

Cavy Slave
It will take some time, especially if they didnt receive veggys where they used to live. I have only seen cavys catch on right away they see other cavys eating. Check out the stickys at the top of this thread to see some great nutritional facts.

Newpiggiemom

Cavy Slave
When I first got my 2 boys they wouldn't even try their veggies and I was very concerned. I kept trying to give it to them and after about 2 weeks they go crazy for their veggies now. They attack their romaine lettuce before you can hardly get it in their cage. Keep trying different things in small doses everyday until they start catching on. In no time they will be wheeking for their veggies when you bring them. There are still some things that they just won't touch like green peppers.

With time you will find what they like. Mine love parsley especially and turnip greens, romaine lettuce, they eat celery (cut up small), baby spinach, carrots for lap time, mixed spring greens but they won't try broccoli either. It will probably be some trial and error.

I had posted a thread when I first got my 2 boys in September concerned because they wouldn't eat and now it seems like a distant memory.

2cavies

Cavy Slave
Thanks I will keep trying.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
I agree I would jsut keep trying with them and encourage the veggies. Eventually I believe just like most piggies do they will warm up to them.