Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Picks out what they want

hyelton

Cavy Slave
All 3 of my guineas pick out there food. And then want more. I give them fresh food every day but they won't even eat maybe half. They pick out pieces. And about an hour after I give them food I can rattle the bag and they will sqeek for food even though its not for the hay (they eat that just fine and lots) but they will sqeek for more food and just eat pieces that they won't. I have tried 3 brands. One the kind u get at Walmart that has a small viriotry and one just plane pellets and also the exspncive pellets brand (which 2 of them was eating wwhen I got them) I'm trying that now but why do they just pick through it

Are you referring to pellets or to veggies? What is their daily diet like? How old are your pigs? What volume of food are you providing? Please provide as much information about your pigs as possible.

Pellet mixes with various "bits" in them are not good for pigs, as they tend to just go for the junky bits. KMS Hayloft pellets and Oxbow pellets are the best for guinea pigs. Alfalfa based pellets for pigs under 6 months, timothy based pellet.

If you're feeding the right kind of pellets, there's nothing to pick through. It's all the same color, shape and size. If it's not, feed it to the birds.

My two don't always eat all their pellets. I put 1/8 cup of pellets in each of two dishes at night, and frequently there will be some left over the next night. I'll see them go by a few times during the day and take a bite or two, but they don't just sit there and chow down on it.

If you're feeding them the right kind of hay and enough vegetables, the pellets aren't crucial anyway.

Well I've had them for 3 months. And I don't know how old. There not to young they've already had a liter of baby's. Which now have homes. And they can have a good amount of food and I will reach in the bag to grab them more hay and give it to them. 5min llater rattle the bag and they all go crazy like they are starved when they have fresh food and hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.